H.P. Lovecraft's Complete Charles Dexter Ward Manuscript is Online!

Will Hart

Aug 30, 2013, 1:36:46 PM8/30/13
to my-lovecraf...@googlegroups.com

Greetings to All Lovecraftians,

   This is so good, I just had to share it!

   I initially learned about this on Twitter, and just had to share what I've seen since then.

   The Brown Digital Repository of Brown University in Providence, now has H. P. Lovecraft's entire manuscript for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward scanned and on display for everyone to be able to enjoy.

   From the main page, the manuscript can be viewed in a window that shows about one-and-a-half pages at a time, and the window can easily be scrolled using the scroll bar below it; and if you scroll down the entire web page, you'll find a "Portfolio View" mode, with three images (pages) on display at a time, or it can be viewed in a "Book View" mode, where you can see the pages turning.  And any page image may be downloaded from these display modes.

   And if you scroll even farther down the main web page, you also have an option to jump directly to any page individually, where you can zoom-in to an extremely detailed level.

   These scans include Lovecraft's hand-written pages, as well as the backs of every sheet of paper; so you see exactly what he was writing on, and what was originally written on the paper.

   There are 296 image scans here that will keep you fascinated for a very long time.

   Please let me know what you discover within the manuscript that you hadn't known before!

  The Main Page for H. P. Lovecraft's, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward:

atastef...@yahoogroups.com

          https://repository.library.brown.edu/studio/item/bdr:310436/

   And if this manuscript isn't enough to keep you busy, check out the other scanned Lovecraft items here:

          https://repository.library.brown.edu/studio/search_results/?search_terms=search_terms%3ALovecraft&scope=Search

Richard Spiers

Aug 30, 2013, 4:18:08 PM8/30/13
to my-lovecraf...@googlegroups.com
a lot.  i scanned them rapid fast, and I think i see at least one page of financial notations that may be in WVP's handwriting.  at last at last at last the documents are now out where other people can see them.  It has been like getting a look at the dead sea scrolls.

have a great weekend.

Will Hart

Aug 30, 2013, 5:47:10 PM8/30/13
to my-lovecraf...@googlegroups.com

Hey Chrispy,

   I thought of you as soon as I saw what was in the 296 scans of the CDW pages, and I made sure your group was one I notified well before even sending out my personal emails to share the information!

   And you responded just the way I thought you would.

   Of all the things I thought of that I could personally do with the scans, sharing them with everyone that might also want to see them felt like the most fun thing I could think of; so that's what I have done.

   I look forward to seeing what nuggets you mine from these scans.

   And, of course, I have also now saved copies of every page in a folder on my computer to peruse at my leisure too...

                                           Will