Does Radio Scotland plays enough traditional music?

ji...@musicinscotland.com

Mar 1, 2006, 9:42:30 AM3/1/06
to Music In Scotland
Well do you think Radio Scotland plays enough traditional music?

We would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter. If
you would like to post your thoughts directly to Radio Scotland, all
the better - use the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/contact/index.shtml

Below is a reply received from Radio Scotland regarding their
traditional music policy. We asked Radio Scotland why they do not have
daytime program playing Scottish traditional music similar to the
programs found daily on Radio nan Gaidheal. Was traditional music only
for the Gaels?

Reply:

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your comments regarding traditional music on Radio
Scotland.

Head of BBC Radio Scotland, Jeff Zycinski, has replied as follows;

"Radio Scotland aims to provide a wide variety of speech and music
programmes for its audience and to complement the other BBC services.

At the core of our music policy is a strong commitment to traditional
music, offered in programmes such as Travelling Folk, Celtic
Connections, Pipeline, Take The Floor, The Reel Blend. We also cover
major traditional music events such as the traditional music awards and
have sponsored the young traditional musician of the year award
for over four years.

At the same time, we support other music genres such as jazz, classical
and contemporary music, and we're always keen to supportm live music,
either through studio sessions our outside broadcasts.

There are, however, only so many hours of airtime in the day and we
have competing demands from other listeners for more speech
programming, such as news, sport, comedy, drama, debates and
documentaries."

Best wishes and thank you taking the time to contact BBC Scotland.

Regards

George Fawcett
BBC Information Office
Scotland