White Pass, WA?

Jeff Hornick

Mar 23, 2024, 12:59:06 PMMar 23
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Opinions wanted...

Is White Pass worth the extra hour drive from the SW Portland 'burbs vs. just heading up to Hood, especially in a low snow year like this? I've never been there and looking at a one-off day trip.

Thanks!

Jeff

Emilio Trampuz

Mar 23, 2024, 10:09:07 PMMar 23
to mth...@googlegroups.com
White Pass is pretty good.  It has varied terrain. Lots of easy cruisers, but also some steeps and some tree skiing as well.

Our club has organized several trips to White Pass in past years.  I think it is well worth visiting, especially if you like variety of terrain.

When you are there , get a trail map, because without a map you might never discover all the terrain available. For example:  there are 2 "back sides".  There is the old back side, served by a single back side lift.  But then, some 10 years ago (or more?) White Pass expanded.  They added the following:
  1. Two more hills, further back, this adding a whole new back side and practically doubling their terrain.
  2. Two new lifts se3rving the new back side.
  3. A new on-mountain lodge, on the new back side, that serves food.  Nice place for lunch.
When you first traverse to the new back side, take a couple of runs on the first of the 2 ski lifts there.  One of the runs there is a wide groomer, but they left a few well spaced trees in the middle of that trail.  It's not anywhere near a real slalom, but I really enjoy skiing around those few trees.

On the second and farthest of all the back side lifts, if you stay as far as possible on skier's LEFT, that will  take you to some ungroomed terrain, first some rolling hills, and finally ending up in a bit of a forest.

Definitely carry a trail map.  Some places might be hard to find without a map.  Even that mid-mountain lodge might be a bit hard to find.

Did you know that the twin Mahre brothers, Phil and Steve Mahre, grew up at White Pass?  Their father was a caretaker of the place. The house still stands there.  Phil and Steve Mahre won Gold and Silver medals in slalom at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo -- formerly part of Yugoslavia, and now capital of Bosnia.

Emilio

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Mar 23, 2024, 11:41:45 PMMar 23
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Also, White Pass is on the Indy Pass, for two days of free skiing; as well as on the Powder Alliance, for 3 days of free skiing.  Maybe you know that already, Jeff, if you have a Fusion Pass.

A club member is considering working on a club driving trip to White Pass next year with some unusual (nice) lodging.

Linda McGavin

Michael Barmache

Mar 23, 2024, 11:44:23 PMMar 23
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff.
I’m intimately familiar with white pass. As I ski there often. Call me if you want details on how to best navigate the area. If you’re 73 you ski basically for free as there’s a one time 25$ charge for a super senior pass which is also a powder alliance pass. If you have a fusion pass or powder alliance pass Sunday thru Monday the skiing is free ( 3 days)
It’s a long drive from Pdx for just a day of skiing. Better to come up and stay in Packwood for a couple of nights or Yakima which is further away (50 miles)
The closest place to stay at is the Silver Beach motel which is inexpensive and only 8 miles away. Or up at the ski area in the white pass village condos but those are spendy
If you want to contact me my cell is 5037026473
Mike Barmache

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2024, at 7:09 PM, Emilio Trampuz <emili...@earthlink.net> wrote:

 White Pass is pretty good.  It has varied terrain. Lots of easy cruisers, but also some steeps and some tree skiing as well.

Michael Barmache

Mar 23, 2024, 11:59:48 PMMar 23
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I meant Sunday thru Friday.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 23, 2024, at 8:44 PM, Michael Barmache <mb...@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Jeff.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Mar 26, 2024, 6:56:10 PMMar 26
to mth...@googlegroups.com
The fusion pass does give you the powder alliance! Well worth it. That would give you 3 days at White pass, mission, ridge, and others.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024, 2:23 PM Jeff Hornick <tptply...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, all, for the info. Knew about the Indy Pass; didn't know about the Powder Alliance/Fusion Pass. Unfortunately I don't have either... :-(  But good to know for next year as I've been contemplating getting the Fusion Pass instead of just the Timberline pass like I did this year. (An aside, my Timberline Pass doesn't get the Powder Alliance benefits, does it?)

I've got a friend in Ridgefield, WA, who switched from Timberline to WP this year and is digging it. I've been looking at the trail map on-line and thought it looks like a lot of fun. One of the lifts (Chair 4) hasn't been running but it looks like you can still access everything, albeit with a little longer run. Drat! ;-) Wish I could do a couple of days, given the distance, but not in the cards right now. I'd love to do a longer road trip with the club, if the dates are right.

And only 60, Mike. Sounds like a much better deal, though, than either Meadows or Timberline.

Keep doing the snow dances!

Jeff

Jeff Hornick

Mar 26, 2024, 8:43:02 PMMar 26
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Ended up going up yesterday. Had a great time once I got off the front side of the mountain. Snow was much better on Basin and Couloir. Shot this video on a run off of Basin. Almost like the trees were selectively cut to create lots of paths through what was left.

A LONG way to go for a one day trip from Portland's SW 'burbs. If I do it again (OK... WHEN I do it again!) I'll most likely plan to do a couple of days and stay the night in Packwood.

Jeff

WP video.mov

Emilio Trampuz

Mar 26, 2024, 9:47:46 PMMar 26
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, I am glad you found those trees at White Pass.   It's fun to ski around them.
Thanks for the short video.

Our club has done several trips to White Pass in past years, and we always stayed in Packwood.  But it has been several years since we did it last time.  Maybe it's time to do it again!

Emilio

Debra Malin

Mar 29, 2024, 6:38:31 PMMar 29
to mth...@googlegroups.com
My mom helped build the Olympia ski club Lodge at white pass  and my dad helped build the original lifts.   I started skiing there when I was 2.  Remember the Maher brothers being gate keepers for club races.  Very intimidating!
Sent from my iPhone
Jeff

Bill Peck

Mar 29, 2024, 6:38:49 PMMar 29
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Emilio
Thank you for the great report and synopsis for White Pass. The description and detail was excellent. Makes me consider going! It's always been on my bucket list. I also liked the mention of the Mahre brothers and the '84 Olympics.
B.

Felicia Gavett

Apr 2, 2024, 2:23:11 AMApr 2
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Shelley Seger, a club member, would like to put together a club trip for next year to White Pass and has spoken to Linda McGavin about it. She has been there several times.

Felicia Gavett
Court Visitor

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission and any documents that accompany it may contain information belonging to the sender which is protected by law. This information is confidential.
RESTRICTED USE: You may not use the information in this transmission if you are not the person to whom it was directed. Please call us immediately to arrange for a return of the documents if you received this transmission in error.

I accept service by email from all attorneys.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 at 14:23, Jeff Hornick <tptply...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Bill Peck

Apr 5, 2024, 12:05:36 AMApr 5
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I would commit to signing up. It's been on my bucket list for a while. It would be fun to ski with someone who knows the area too.
B.

Jeff Hornick

Apr 5, 2024, 12:55:37 AMApr 5
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
If the dates work, I'm in! I had a blast! Would love to explore more of the front side without the icy crud. Couple of days at Mission Ridge, too?

Jeff

Gerald R W

Apr 5, 2024, 12:58:34 AMApr 5
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I am interested, put me on the list if there is one (yet).
 I actually very likely will go there for 2 days in the next few days. Plenty of snow it looks like, but it's going to warm up quickly, so, wish me luck.
Anybody coming with me?
Gerald

Emilio Trampuz

Apr 5, 2024, 11:24:49 PMApr 5
to mth...@googlegroups.com
If you stay with our ski club long enough, you will eventually ski all of the Northwest.
Within the past 10 - 15 years, we have organized ski trips to so many ski areas. And many of them we have visited multiple times.

In Oregon: Willamette Pass, Hoodoo, Mt. Bachelor, Anthony Lakes, Mt. Ashland, and Warner Canyon.
In Washington:  White Pass, Crystal Mt., Stevens Pass, Mission Ridge, Mt. Baker, Bluewood, Mt. Spokane and 49 Degrees North.
In Idaho:   Schweitzer Mountain, Silver Mountain, Lookout Pass, Brundage Mt., and Tamarack.
In Canada:  Whistler/Blackcomb, Big White, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, Panorama, Kimberly, Fernie, Red Mountain.
In California:  Mt. Shasta, and several ski areas around Lake Tahoe.
In Utah:  Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, and side-trips to other ski areas around Salt Lake City.

We also organized several Mysetry trips, where nobody knew where we were going to ski for a weekend.  Some of these mystery trips used to be to new places that most people had not skied before.  But we have long ago run out of new places.