Masks and Full occupancy on lifts and buses

Emilio Trampuz

Jan 16, 2022, 7:22:35 PM1/16/22
to Mt. High All Club Forum
Sally mentioned in a separate thread in this Forum that the shuttle buses are now packed full, so it is really important to wear a face mask.

Yes, that's true.  I rode the free Timberline shuttle a couple of times already, and was somewhat surprised that the buses are packed full, but almost everyone was wearing a face mask and almost nobody was talking either, keeping their mouths shut.

It is hard to talk anyway, because it looks like all the buses are playing fairly loud music on board.  On one of the buses, the music was almost deafening.

But for all those who say they will not ride the bus if it is packed full, note that the chairs on chairlifts are now packed full also.  This allowed me to use the single line to get on the lift faster.  On the Magic Mile lift, they were allowing people to ride in threesomes, but on the Jeff Flood express, they were doing their best to pack us into foursomes.

In some ways, all this is understandable. There is simply too much demand.  And, yes, people parked their cars from the heart of Government Camp all the way to the Summit Pass ski area, and then took the shuttle up to Timberline. Some of them must have walked almost half a mile!

And Timberline has now moved the closing point on the Timberline access road much higher up when they close the road, allowing for a much longer line of cars to wait in line until someone leaves the ski area.  This past Saturday, I left the ski area around 1 pm, and there was a very long line of cars waiting on the access road to be allowed to go up.

Too many people want to ride the shuttles and the chairlifts. If they didn't pack us tightly, the waiting lines would be much longer.  So, if you are too concerned, better not ride the lifts either.

But, hey, on the positive side, Timberline right now really does offer a full 4,540' vertical from the top of Palmer to the Summit Pass ski area.  This is probably the most vertical anywhere in the United States.  The Magic Mile lift was operating this weekend.  From there, a snowcat took people to the top of Palmer.  Then you could ski all the way down to Govy.  I estimate the total length of the trails from Palmer to Govy is well over 6 miles.

Emilio