Saturdays at Timberline - from now till end of May

Emilio Trampuz

Feb 10, 2022, 5:02:26 PM2/10/22
to Mt. High All Club Forum
Hi fellow Mountain High members,

I am glad to see that both our Forums (Google Groups) have sprung to life and are being used by at least some of our members to connect on the mountain for skiing.  I just want to add 2 messages from me personally:

Skiers at
      Timberline1.  I will be at Timberline this coming Saturday, Feb. 12.  Looking to connect with anyone else who shows up and wants to ski together (at least for a few runs).  How to connect?  Do the following:
  • Respond to this message to let us know you are coming. Best to use "Reply to List" or "Reply to All".
  • Show up at the Day lodge (Wy'East), at the SKI KEEP exit, fully equipped and ready to ski by about 9 am.
If you miss us there, try using a 2-way radio on channel 6-19 to call us.  If you remember the old days (about 10 - 20 years ago), when radios were more popular, there was a lot of chatter on the airwaves then. These days, there is no more chatter from other people.  It seems the radio waves are now open just for us.

Also, if you miss us at the start of the day, be on the lookout for anyone skiing with orange ribbons tied to their ski poles.  That's our current ID for now.

If you park at the lower parking lot, near Molly's chair and the maintenance department, you can ski down to either the Pucci chair or the Jeff Flood.  Both are express lifts. Then, as soon as the lifts open, ride up and then ski down to the day lodge to meet up.  We'll wait for you there if we know you are coming.

Glade Trail2.  I will most likely be at Timberline almost every Saturday from now until the end of May - when the season passes expire. There may be just a few exceptions, such as:
  • The Ski the Glade Trail Day, March 5, when I will be skiing the Glade Trail from Timberline to Government Camp all day. On that day, all participants will park their cars in Government Camp. The event starts with breakfast at the Mt. Hood Museum & Cultural Center.  No Timberline ticket is required or needed that day. By the way, I have been asked to serve as a guide that day, to show people how to get to the Glade Trail without having to climb, and to be of general assistance.  If you want to participate, please sign up soon. The event is limited to only 60 people this year. All spots usually sell out every year.

  • The Whitefish Mountain ski trip, March 13-20, 2022.   I will probably miss 2 Saturdays at Timberline due to that trip.

  • Some Saturday, I might decide to ski at Skibowl instead. If so, I will announce it ahead of time.
The picture above was taken during a previous Glade Trail Day.  It shows a section that is normally out of bounds and normally never groomed, except for this one day of the year.  For those who prefer ungroomed snow, the terrain among the small trees on the right side of the picture is left ungroomed.

Each Saturday at Timberline, meet at the same time and place as described above.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Drive up to Timberline EARLY (by 7:30 or 7:45 at the latest). Or take the Mt. Hood Express bus (from as far away as Sandy), or a free Timberline shuttle from the Summit Pass ski area. Buses can and do arrive later. Mt. Hood Express bus arrives at Timberline at 9  am.   Timberline shuttles start running around 8 am.