Ride into history on the original wagon trail

Emilio Trampuz

Jul 11, 2022, 1:03:16 AM7/11/22
to Mt. High All Club Forum
Hi folks,

History tour along the Oregon Trail (Barlow Road wagon trail).  Saturday, July 23, 2022.  Starting around 7:30 am from the Zig Zag Inn.

Some of you may have heard about this already, but in case you didn't, you are invited on a history bike ride along parts of Barlow Road (the original wagon trail) and on the old Mt. Hood loop highway.  Even if you have done it before, there are several things that have changed.  We have discovered segments of the trail we didn't know about before. Also, the blasting on highway 26 in recent years has altered the landscape a bit.

Oregon trail

This is a tour of Oregon's history, illustrated with various audio-visual effects.  It will take us about 4 hours, stopping occasionally to hear a story from the pioneers' diaries.

We will meet around 9:30 am at Zig Zag Inn.  Some carpooling will be needed to transport all our bikes to Barlow Pass but leave a few cars in Zig Zag. The ride is approximately 18 miles, from Barlow Pass to Zig Zag Inn in Zig Zag, where we will end the ride with some refreshments and/or lunch.   We will follow the easiest route -- unless people ask for a more challenging but more authentic ride.  The route is mostly downhill, but there are 2 fairly long uphill segments.

Any kind of bicycle is OK, as long as it can handle some varied terrain including paved roads, dirt trails, and about a mile of gravel road.
Everyone is invited, so feel free to bring a friend or family member.

See more details on our club's website at: http://www.mthigh.org/index.htm#Barlow-Road-wagon-trail .

Let me know if you are interested.

Emilio
504-510-1477

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Jul 11, 2022, 10:12:05 AM7/11/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Emilio,

We were planning to come until a memorial service that we need to go to was planned for the same day.  I'm glad you are not doing the hazardous road crossings over the barrier.  Hope you have a good turnout!

Linda

Michele Gunness

Jul 11, 2022, 10:31:02 AM7/11/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Emilio:
I noticed a time discrepancy. Is it 7:30 or 9:30?
Michele

Emilio Trampuz

Jul 12, 2022, 5:15:51 AM7/12/22
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Oops!  That was a typo!  Thanks for noticing and letting me know, Michele.
The correct time is to meet at Zig Zag Inn at 9:30 am.  That time is also shown on our website announcement, and it will also be in the upcoming issue of Lift Lines.

And, to answer Linda's question, we will NOT cross highway 26 in those curve where the concrete barrier separates the uphill from the downhill traffic.  We will most likely completely skip Laurel Hill.  However, just in case the participants in this ride really want to see Laurel Hill and the steepest part of the Oregon Trail, there is a way to do that, but it requires a bit of extra time and effort.

Emilio