Timberline ski area reopens this Friday, May 15, 2020.

Emilio

May 14, 2020, 6:39:29 PM5/14/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Hi folks,

Timberline is reopening on Friday, May 15, but with limited operations. A 24 hour reservation will be required of everyone, including season pass holders. The cafeteria will be closed. Parking will be regulated and no parking permitted in the "crescent" next to the day lodge. See more details at: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/coronavirus-updates .

Note that reservations start at 9 am for the following day.    Kurt Krueger reports that by 10:25 am this Thursday, all reservations for Friday were already taken.

Sally N.

May 14, 2020, 7:43:14 PM5/14/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Actually I tried to get a reservation at 8:58 and they were all sold for Friday!  Felt a little unfair. Just sayin'.
Sally Niedermeyer

Kurt Wilke

May 14, 2020, 11:46:35 PM5/14/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
They opened the reservations at 9am. If you tried earlier, you get the message said sold out.

The reservations opened at 9 and was sold out at 9:03.

Kurt

Linda or Bruce McGavin

May 14, 2020, 11:58:09 PM5/14/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Does that mean you got one?

Kurt Wilke

May 15, 2020, 12:01:02 AM5/15/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
no I didn't.  Didn't try as I have to work.  Heard from other people.

Charles Watt

May 15, 2020, 9:49:58 AM5/15/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
How many passes are available each day?
Cw

Sally N.

May 15, 2020, 9:55:31 AM5/15/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kurt! That makes me feel alot better about that. Too bad it is raining right now. Forecast not looking great for good spring skiing. It will come.
Sally

Kurt Krueger

May 15, 2020, 12:56:18 PM5/15/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com, Charles Watt
Seems to be darn few.  Sold out today for Saturday by 9:03

I was never able to get to the reservation from.  The usual technique of refreshing the page, didn't work.  You had to start from the Timberline page.  Otherwise it just kept refreshing the page that said it was sold out, rather then reloading it.

They probably sold out before 9:03.  That was when I figured out how to really get to the right place.

Emilio Trampuz

May 15, 2020, 3:57:27 PM5/15/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how many reservations they allow per day, but it must be a relatively low number, since it fills up so quickly.  It looks like one should have the form all filled out before 9 am, and then send it within seconds after 9.

By the way, there appears to be a loophole that would make it possible to circumvent all this.  Timberline's announcement says that backcountry skiers are exempt from the reservations process.  If you drive up and you say you are a backcountry skier, they will send you to the climbers' parking lot (the Salmon River parking lot).  Now, all backcountry skiers who intend to climb Mt. Hood need to register in the climbers' room at the entrance to Timberline's day lodge.  So, there is a legitimate reason to go there.  What is there to prevent you from skiing out of the day lodge and to the ski lifts?

If they have someone checking people's reservations right at the day lodge, that would present another barrier, which might be overcome if you are willing to climb up straight from the climbers' parking lot until you are high enough to ski behind Timberline Lodge and onto the Magic Mile lift.  That's a fairlty long hike.

The big question is whether they check your reservation only when you drive up or if they also check it at the lifts.

Another big question is about the ethics of doing this.  If only one or two people did it,  it wouldn't really cause any harm.  But it might become a problem if hordes of people started doing it.

By the way, before anyone jumps at me for even suggesting this, I should also clarify that I myself have a legitimate reason for doing something like this.  I mean, I have been a legitimate backcountry skier lately, because I am so consumed with setting up and marking the safety boundaries west of Timberline.  While the ski area was still open in February and early March, I used to take only one ride up the Stormin' Norman lift, just to get high enough to then traverse to Little Zig Zag canyon.  From there, I would then ski down to Govy.

Don't try this unless you know the way.  It is so easy to get lost there.  That's why I am working on establishing the safety boundary.

On one of my latest excursions there, I discovered that I don't even need that single ride on the Stormin' Norman lift.  I found that I can simply ski down the first straight part of West Leg Road and then ski around the bottom of the Stormin' Norman lift, and keep on traversing west from there at a slight downhill angle.  This is still high enough to bring me to the middle of the Red safety boundary.  In other words, I don't really need to use any of the lifts.  But I do need to ski through part of the ski area.

Well, that's in principle at least.  In reality, I am not planning to go there again this year, because once you are that far west of Timberline, there is no easy way back to the ski area without a lot of climbing, and the only solution is to ski down to Government Camp.  But the snow has already melted away at lower elevations, so the lower part of the Glade Trail is now just dirt, rocks and grass.  When there is no snow left at the Summit ski area, you know that part of the Glade Trail is also bare. Too much work to hike it in ski boots.

fatu...@gmail.com

May 16, 2020, 3:54:01 PM5/16/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
I was able to get a ticket for Sunday, anyone else? Malcolm

fatu...@gmail.com

May 17, 2020, 5:55:57 PM5/17/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
I was able to get a ticket for Monday also!

Emilio Trampuz

May 17, 2020, 8:05:15 PM5/17/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
Malcolm, when did you get hte ticket for Monday?  Was it this Sunday morning at 9 am?   Or did you manage to get that the day before (Saturday)?

On 5/17/2020 2:55 PM, fatu...@gmail.com wrote:
I was able to get a ticket for Monday also!

fatu...@gmail.com

May 17, 2020, 11:09:52 PM5/17/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
I was able to get it this morning (Sunday) right at 9am.

Kurt Krueger

May 17, 2020, 11:20:08 PM5/17/20
to mth...@googlegroups.com
On 5/17/2020 8:09 PM, fatu...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was able to get it this morning (Sunday) right at 9am.

At about 9:15, I was still able to get the reservation form.  But didn't
follow thru.  Monday looks like it will be a decent day.  But the snow
may be a bit wet.

fatu...@gmail.com

May 19, 2020, 4:43:49 PM5/19/20
to Mountain High Snowsport Club
Monday did get a little sticky. Today Tuesday was great first thing in the morning on Storman Norman. When they opened the mile about 10am, it was very windy on the chair, but awesome on the slopes. Hopefully tomorrow will be great! Malcolm