Meadows slope condition

Brian Hutchins

Jan 31, 2023, 10:07:46 PM1/31/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
anyone been up lately?  I was thinking of going skiing Friday, but don't want to bring ice skates.

Linda or Bruce McGavin

Jan 31, 2023, 10:11:34 PM1/31/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

48 members of the club are coming back from the Canada trip tomorrow, and some are the regular Meadows midweek skiers.  We are in Utah enjoying fresh pow at Powder Mountain.

Linda & Bruce

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 7:07 PM Brian Hutchins <bhut...@msn.com> wrote:
anyone been up lately?  I was thinking of going skiing Friday, but don't want to bring ice skates.

Emilio Trampuz

Jan 31, 2023, 10:49:58 PM1/31/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Five of us went skiing this past Sunday, one of the rare sunny days this winter.  Unfortunately, both Timberline and Meadows were closed due to very strong winds, with gust of 45 mph or higher.  All the lifts were closed.   But, fortunately, Skibowl had all their lifts open and the winds was very calm around Skibowl, so we ended up having a great time.  And it didn't cost us anything extra, since most of us had the Fusion Pass - with unlimited access to both Timberline and Skibowl.

However, most groomed trails were quite hard and almost icy.  In some places even totally icy.  Keith commented that this felt like skiing in the East.  A trail named "Surprise" surprised us with the best, softest snow.  And we even skied a trail through the forest called "Daddy Killer" that is not on shown on any of the trail maps, even though it is actually a connector between two groomed trails.  It's one of those local little secrets.

Conditions were better the next day, on Monday.  No wind and still sunny.  But now it looks like we won't be seeing any sun for the next 10 days or more.

Overall, we really need more snow.  And the next 10 days or so might bring us just that.  Once the fresh snow covers up the icy spots, it will all be much better.

In the meantime, check out our club's Facebook page, where we posted a couple of [photos from Skibowl and a very short video showing how blustery the wind was at Timberline. Just go to our website, www.mthigh.org and then click on the "Facebook" button in the main menu on the left side of the screen.  Then scroll down just a little to see the photos and videos from this past Sunday.

NOTE TO EVERYBODY:  One of the most fun experiences our club has to offer is our ski trips.  We travel together, we ski together, we dine together.  We enjoy a hot tub together.  It's the best way to get to know other club members.  Our club has organized 3 trips this winter. One of them is just ending, the one to Canada.  Just two more trips to go:

1.  February 25 -- March 1, 2, or 3 (Flexible dates):  McCall, Idaho, with skiing at Brundage Mt. and Tamarack, both on the Indy Pass (which means free skiing if you have that pass).
2.  March 17 -- 19:  Mt. Ashland and Mt. Shasta.  Just a weekend bus trip. We'll get going on Friday. We'll ski Mt. Shasta on Saturday, and Mt. Ashland on Sunday.  WE'll be back in Portland by about 9 pm on Sunday.  Both of these two ski areas are on the Indy Pass too!  Free skiing!

Both trips still have plenty of room.  It's not too late to join us.  See details on our website, on the TRIPS page, www.mthigh.org/Trips.htm .

Emilio

On 1/31/2023 7:07 PM, Brian Hutchins wrote:
anyone been up lately?  I was thinking of going skiing Friday, but don't want to bring ice skates.

Randy Ericksen

Jan 31, 2023, 11:03:46 PM1/31/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
I was up MHM on Monday. It was cold but sunny. Off piste was mostly wind packed/scoured. Piste was better but still hard. It warmed up today so I'm guessing it softened up. Forecast for Friday is snow.

Drew Miller

Feb 1, 2023, 7:59:16 AM2/1/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com

I was at MHM yesterday - Tuesday.  It was cold and very windy.

The groomers started out crunchy and got better through the day as they were skied on, but off piste was pretty much frozen solid all day.

The crowd was very light.

MHM really needs more snow.  There's quite a bit of tree debris around due to the high winds.

Drew