Timberline current conditions?

Jeff Hornick

Dec 27, 2023, 5:40:15 PM12/27/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
Any word on how Timberline, especially Pucci, is holding up? Thinking of trying to get up tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Volker Czechowski

Dec 27, 2023, 7:42:25 PM12/27/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Pucci is IMO just Ok, only west legg road has decent coverage. Best trail is the west side trail from the Magic Mile.
Best regards
Volker Czechowski

On Dec 27, 2023, at 2:40 PM, Jeff Hornick <tptply...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any word on how Timberline, especially Pucci, is holding up? Thinking of trying to get up tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Jeff Hornick

Dec 27, 2023, 8:00:49 PM12/27/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
Thanks, Volker!

Bill Peck

Dec 27, 2023, 10:53:27 PM12/27/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Volker. It's good to have a reconnaissance scout keeping us informed.
B.

Jeff Hornick

Dec 28, 2023, 8:07:44 PM12/28/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
I stayed on West Leg this morning before heading home. A little slushy but not too bad and not too crowded. Guessing it probably got chewed up this afternoon. First time up this year so didn't want to venture up to The Mile or Palmer, which looked a little clouded in. Wanted to make sure I could make it back. ;-)

Emilio Trampuz

Dec 28, 2023, 9:54:57 PM12/28/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, did you ski down West Leg Road all the way to Government Camp?  Or maybe there isn't enough snow at lower elevations yet?

I skied that road to Govy a couple of times.  Initially, I was afraid it might be too slow, like that last turn on West Leg Road just before you hit the bottom of the Jeff Flood lift.  That last turn is super slow, and you even need to push and pole and skate a bit.  But to my surprise, immediately after you leave the ski area, West Leg Road gets much nicer, with a perfect pitch to allow you to just stand on your skis and pick up a lot of speed.  Well, just make small turns to check your speed a bit.

So, if you didn't do it this time, I would definitely recommend you try it some time later this season.

The only challenge is finding where West Leg Road leaves the ski area.   It is not recommended to just follow the road through that very slow turn and then having to go against traffic coming down from the Kruser trail.  Instead, take the Kruser trail from the top, and just remember to really slow down on that last steep pitch and look for a turn to skier's right.  Most people just zoom past it at high speed without even noticing it.  You need to turn RIGHT before you go through the narrow passage that leads under the Jeff Flood lift.  You need to turn right before the lift - if you are skiing down the Kruser trail.

Emilio

Jeff Hornick

Dec 29, 2023, 7:58:47 PM12/29/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
No, just to the bottom of Pucci. Lots and lots of stakes and ropes telling you where you can't ski. Sounds like fun, though. Especially with a guide... <hint>