Upcoming 2023/2024 Ski Season weekdays skiing at Timberline or Skibowl

Volker Czechowski

Oct 17, 2023, 8:52:01 PM10/17/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fellow Mt High Skiers
I live in Sandy and will be heading up very frequently on weekdays around late morning / noon to either Timberline or Skibowl depending on the daily snow conditions.
When skiing Timberline I typically park at the Summit Ski area and take the free Timberline shuttle and ski at the end of the day back down to Summit via the groomed Alpine Trail.
Anyone interested in joining (we can carpool from Sandy) or meeting up there for a few runs and maybe a beer and bite to eat afterwards in Govy just text me at 201-303-3490.

Let's all make a Snowdance to get this season started.
See you on the slopes.
Volker

Emilio Trampuz

Oct 17, 2023, 9:32:37 PM10/17/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
Volker,

Thanks you very much for posting this.   So far, for years, our mid-week forum has been dominated by people who ski mostly at Mt. Hood Meadows.  That's perfectly fine, but it's nice to finally get someone (you) to take an active role in bringing together Timberline/Skibowl mid-week skiers too.  I hope a lot of people will respond.

It's a good plan to park at the Summit ski area and take the free Timberline shuttle up.  In this way, you avoid the parking problems and the closures of Timberline Road.  Also, at the end of the day, you can ski all the way down to Government Camp, using either the Alpine Trail or West Leg Road.  West Leg Road is mostly slow and flat within the Timberline ski area, but it gets a bit faster after it leaves the ski area, so it's actually fun to ski it almost effortlessly if you are tired by the end of the day.

I might join you from time to time. But, I actually prefer to ski on weekends, usually on Saturdays. I totally agree that Saturdays should be avoided  at Meadows, but there are rarely any significantly long lines at Timberline, even on the busiest weekends.  That's because parking is limited, which limits the number of skiers.  So, there is not real need to avoiud weekends, except for the fact that you have to arrive at Timberline by about 7:30 am to make sure you can find a parking spot.  I usually end up snoozing in my car for about an hour while waiting for the lifts to open.  Or, at other times, I sometimes park in Govy and take the Mt. Hood Express up.  IT costs just $2, and the bus stops very near the end of the Glade Trail.

The reason I don't like going up on weekdays is that I don't like dealing with rush hour traffic both driving up in the morning and then again driving home in the afternoon.  I live in Salem, so I hit rush hour traffic at more than one place.  First in Salem,  then at the notorious congestion around Wilsonville, then again around Oregon City, and basically all the way to Sandy.  The road finally clears from Sandy to Mt. Hood.  And then it's even worse on the drive back home, especially between Tualatin and Wilsonville.  .

Still, I will probably drive up on an occasional mid-week day.

Emilio

Jeff Hornick

Oct 25, 2023, 1:49:19 AM10/25/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
Just joined the club...

I'm also planning on skiing Timberline during the week, most likely. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday. MAYBE an occasional run over to Meadows but, honestly, I like the vibe at Timberline better. Just a preference, I guess.

Jeff

Emilio Trampuz

Oct 25, 2023, 7:02:20 PM10/25/23
to mthigh-...@googlegroups.com
This is perfect!  Here's a seed for a mid-week group of our club members skiing at Timberline!
And welcome to the club, Jeff!
Let's use this Forum to keep each other informed of when we will be up on the mountain!

Emilio

Jeff Hornick

Oct 26, 2023, 12:40:00 AM10/26/23
to Mt. High Mid-week skiers
Happy to be here, the club and the group. Y'all are likely to be much better skiers than me, however. I promise, though, to not hold anyone up! And 13" on the ground at Timberline!

Jeff