Zebra crossings at the roundabouts on Ewing Street

Kris Kasmawan

Jun 17, 2021, 6:31:55 PMJun 17
to Morel...@googlegroups.com

Hello Bug Members

We are planning to install pedestrian (zebra) crossings at the roundabouts on Ewing Street at Barkly Street, Weston Street and Edward Street as shown on the attached plans.

All of these intersections are important east/west and north/south walking routes. They currently lack priority for pedestrians needing to safely cross. To ensure vehicles approach the roundabouts at safe speeds, a speed cushion will be installed on each approach to the roundabout (except for two locations on the 509 bus route). The locations of the speed cushions are shown on the attached plans for your reference.

The installation of the pedestrian crossings and speed cushions is scheduled to occur over 2 days between 21 – 29 June 2021, and between the hours of 9:30am-4pm. Council and the contractor

will minimise disruption to residents/businesses and maintain vehicle access as much as possible, except if installation and safety issues deem otherwise.

A number of sharrows are going to be removed from the Ewing Street roundabouts tomorrow, as they will need to be realigned around speed cushions on the approaches to the roundabouts.

Thanks

Kris

Moreland logo

Kris Kasmawan

Transport Projects Engineer

T +61 3 9240 1294

www.moreland.vic.gov.au

Moreland City Council acknowledges the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung people as the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waterways in the area now known as Moreland. We pay respect to their Elders past, present, and emerging, as well as to all First Nations communities who significantly contribute to the life of the area.

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this e-mail and attachments must be handled in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Victoria), the Health Records Act 2001 and the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth), as applicable. This e-mail, including all attachments, is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please immediately notify Moreland City Council via in...@moreland.vic.gov.au or telephone (03) 9240 1111 and then delete this e-mail. Any personal comments contained within this e-mail are those of the sender and do not necessarily represent the views of Moreland City Council. Moreland City Council has attempted to make this e-mail and any attachments free from viruses but cannot provide an assurance that this e-mail or any attachments are free of viruses and accepts no liability.

Circular Plan - Ewing Street a~ Road Hump cushion - June 2021.pdf

Kevin Balaam

Jun 18, 2021, 12:25:24 AMJun 18
to Moreland BUG
Hi Kris,

These works do not affect me, but I am curious. Are the pedestrian crossings on raised platforms to provide smooth crossing of the gutter/kerb for walkers? If not, why? Would that require the whole roundabout intersection to be rebuilt instead of just the relatively inexpensive markings and cushions?

Kevin

Nancy Atkin

Jun 19, 2021, 11:24:13 PMJun 19
to MorelandBUG BUG
Kevin, some history. The roundabouts were rebuilt relatively recently (4 yrs?). At that time, the Council strangely told residents that you couldn’t have zebra crossings at a roundabout (there was an active group mainly of parents walking kids to Princes Hill Primary for which this is direct route, PH is the zoned school for these streets). Glad to see this advice has now changed.

--
Visit https://groups.google.com/d/forum/morelandbug to see all previous messages; or click on "My Settings" to change settings so that rather than seeing each message you can get daily summaries, combined updates or no mail (but still be able to post messages and see all messages); or to leave the group.
---

Kris Kasmawan

Jun 27, 2021, 8:56:59 PMJun 27
to nancy...@optusnet.com.au, MorelandBUG BUG

Hi Nancy and Kevin

As you have surmised, installing raised platforms at the pedestrian crossing points on the Ewing Street roundabouts would require full redesign of the roundabout and its associated drainage. These pedestrian crossings are being delivered as part of a Covid response program to be delivered in the short term. As such, the scope is limited to line marking and rubber speed cushions which don’t impact the drainage, rather than full intersection redesign. Also, the roundabouts themselves were reconstructed only a few years ago, so the actual built features are in good operating condition and it would be hard to justify the extended disruption that a full redesign would entail.

Nancy, regarding you point about Zebra crossing locations. A Zebra crossing required approval from the Department of Transport (formally VicRoads), so we are required to meet their standards/conditions before they can be implemented. We meeting with them regularly to discuss what is feasible.

Thanks

Kris

Moreland logo

Kris Kasmawan

Transport Projects Engineer

T +61 3 9240 1294

www.moreland.vic.gov.au

Moreland City Council acknowledges the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung people as the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waterways in the area now known as Moreland. We pay respect to their Elders past, present, and emerging, as well as to all First Nations communities who significantly contribute to the life of the area.

Nik Dow

Jul 6, 2021, 2:29:13 AMJul 6
to Moreland BUG
Will the speed cushions have gaps to allow bikes through, like the ones in the Little streets in the CBD?