Access and inclusion survey

Faith Hunter

Jul 21, 2021, 3:46:46 AMJul 21
to Moreland BUG
Dear BUGgies,

Moreland are running a survey for those with disability; their families, carers, service providers, advocates, the arts, business and sports communities.

One thing I think many people often forget is that people with disabilities often ride bicycles, and a lot of the time, are not able to drive cars. Safe infrastructure becomes even more important when riding a bicycle may be one of the few opportunities some people have for independent mobility. Some people ride adapted bicycles which are often low to the ground and I know from speaking to riders who use them, that some of them feel they can only ride where they are separated from traffic.

The survey includes questions about access to events and other access issues and I think how people get to an event often seems to be forgotten, (is there a route where you are separated from traffic, is there a cross over that fits the width of the bike you use, is there space to park bicycles of varying shapes and sizes, how close is it to the entrance?)  so if you are planning on doing the survey, that might be worth mentioning!

The survey is due Monday 9th August.

I’m planning on doing a submission from BUG so if anyone wants to send me any thing I could included statement, testimony, photos etc then please do!

cheers

Faith Hunter

Convenor
Moreland BUG
postcardsf...@gmail.com

Sign up for our newsletter https://mailchi.mp/595749e8a612/morelandisbetterbybike

Facebook: /MorelandBUG Twitter: @MorelandBUG  Instagram:  @moreland.bug

We acknowledge and pay our respect to the traditional custodians of the land we live, work and ride on, the people of the Kulin nation, We pay our respects to ancestors and Elders, past, present and future. We acknowledge that it always was and always will be Aboriginal Land, sovereignty was never ceded.