THE HOLEY MOLEY

Elisa

Oct 19, 2008, 6:19:07 PM10/19/08
to Moleskinerie
Can this site and all its wonderful contributors please help exorcise
my warped thinking about using my gorgeous little book. My husband
gave me a Moleskine for our first wedding anniversary and I love
looking at it but am so ridiculously particular about how I fill it.
I have the notion that everything that enters it must be as perfect as
the little book itself. Iam a visual arts student and the other day a
fellow student opened his Moleskine and just started scrawling notes
in it. I was aghast with shock and envy.

Can I get a little online counselling for this problem?

A.

Oct 19, 2008, 6:27:33 PM10/19/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Here's what I do whenever I get I nice new notebook and am afraid of putting things in it.

I get a big fat sharpy and I open it up to the first page, and I make a big ugly scribble.

The book is now blemished, no longer perfect, and I won't be "sullying" anything by putting less than genius thoughts or drawings into it.
--
~|*|~|*|~|*|~|*|~|*|~|*|~|*|~

"No amount of ability is of any avail without honour." -- Andrew Carnegie

www.savedarfur.org

Daniel Choi

Oct 19, 2008, 8:45:35 PM10/19/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Elisa, when I started using Moleskines I had the same problem. But
after you fill a couple of them and revisit them later, you realize
that even the messy and careless pages are beautiful.

Smitty

Oct 20, 2008, 4:18:38 AM10/20/08
to Moleskinerie
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Elisa <elisabart...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the notion that everything that enters it must be as perfect as
> > the little book itself.

Get a nice fine nib pen, and number the odd pages in the lower right
hand corner (with the odd numbers, of course!). This will let you
refer to any page in the book later on, but it will also get you
writing SOMEthing in it. I usually leave a page or two in front to
build an index from later on. After that exercise, decide what
conference or event you want to document. Maybe there's a graphic arts
lecture series on campus or something. Take notes for the event in the
first section. Having all your notes in one place will greatly enhance
the value of your notes, because you can refer back to them. And it
being an important conference or series will make sure you think it
"Mole Worthy." After that, it's a bit easier.

And Daniel's right - once you see the value of having history in
there, you really like writing in them. You always know where your
notes are. Looking back is a breeze, so long as you date and index
each entry.

Get writing!

Smitty

David Given Schwarm

Oct 20, 2008, 12:37:39 PM10/20/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Eilsa, The first thing I do is fill in the "title page".

Where it says "In case of loss, please return to:" I write my email address.

In the "As a reward: $" I write the number of Moleskines I have
completed--currently 17!

Then I regret the fact that I have the handwriting of a 10 year old.

At which point I am able to start using the tool without regrets.

And not to get all analytical or anything, but I have a feeling Emily
Dickinson would have a *lot* to say about:

My husband gave me a Moleskine for our first wedding anniversary and I love
looking at it but am so ridiculously particular about how I fill it.

Thanks, David S

Elisa Bartels

Oct 20, 2008, 6:04:34 PM10/20/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Mmmmm David not sure what you mean by Emily Dickinson line so please illuminate me.  Thanks for the rest of the practical advice.  Believe it or not I even had trouble writing my name in it.  Boy I really sound pathetic so think I'll sign off now.
Cheers
Elisa

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, David Given Schwarm <david....@gmail.com> wrote:

http://mail.yahoo.com

Elisa Bartels

Oct 20, 2008, 6:05:51 PM10/20/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Phew A never thought I'd get so much 'good oil' when it came to my question.  Obviously this was a great place to start my counselling.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Cheers
Elisa

From: Smitty <tsmy...@gmail.com>

Elisa Bartels

Oct 20, 2008, 6:00:51 PM10/20/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel that's a very Zen way of looking at it.  Now I just have to fill it so I can look back.
Cheers
Elisa

Oct 21, 2008, 5:40:38 PM10/21/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shirley
After all this good advice I've received I'm feeling more confident every day.
Cheers
Elisa

Oct 22, 2008, 2:49:44 PM10/22/08
to Moleskinerie
Pretty much all the advice here is great. Purposely blemish a small
part so you don't think its perfect... number the pages... as person
who likes to draw with crayons, I have this problem with using the
first one. They're all so perfect, lined up just the way I like
them. Then I look at my old box, and they're all half broken, and
gross. I don't want this new box to ever look like the old one! So I
just sit and look at my new crayons, instead of actually using them,
which is totally stupid, but blame a combination of OCD, and my
mother.

In the end, I just grab one, and start using it. Once the first one
isn't perfect, who cares?

The moral... I hope... is that we buy crayons to use. We buy
Moleskines to use. The thought. The idea. The sketch. We have to
make that come before our little compulsions.

Oh... by the way... I like to always keep a spare Moleskine
around... without anything in it, just so I'll always have that
perfect notebook in case I ever have the "perfect" idea. So far...
that perfect notebook goes perfectly unblemished... which says
something about "perfect ideas", eh?

Elisa Bartels

Oct 23, 2008, 3:18:44 AM10/23/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fryxie
Don't be so precious - okay I think I'm starting to get it.
Cheers
Elisa

From: Moleskine Melange <moleskin...@gmail.com>
To: "Moleskinerie" <Molesk...@googlegroups.com>

Elisa

Oct 23, 2008, 3:26:57 AM10/23/08
to Moleskinerie
Thank you for all your replies. With so much good advice I feel as if
I am in the old 'Kung Fu" television series with David Caradine. From
now on call me 'grasshopper'. I didn't realise so many Holey Molers
were so Zen. With all this spiritual moley advice I am sure to reach
Nirvana clutching my little perfect book with perfect little
scribbles, paste in, dreams and aspirations on every page; oh yeah and
probably a shopping list or two.
Any more good advice keep in coming. That pesky Nirvana changes its
position quite regularly.
Thanks again to all my cyber-senseis.
Elisa

NKS

Oct 23, 2008, 10:12:26 AM10/23/08
to Moleskinerie
Try using a Moleskine hack on it. That way:
(1) you don't have to worry about what you're going to write or draw
or stick into the Moley - somebody else has done the work for you.
(2) if it doesn't work out - it's somebody else's fault. :)

Here's a few hacks to get you started:
http://www.43folders.com/2004/11/18/more-moleskine-hacks
http://freelanceswitch.com/productivity/the-monster-collection-of-moleskine-tips-tricks-and-hacks/

Luck,
NKS

Andrew Rogers

Oct 23, 2008, 2:18:23 PM10/23/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Elisa <elisab...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Iam a visual arts student and the other day a
fellow student opened his Moleskine and just started scrawling notes
in it.  I was aghast with shock and envy.

I think it's fascinating you're an arts student, since what you are describing reminds me of a story from the life of Winston Churchill. I don't have my books handy to type out the full description, but I did find a summary and a partial excerpt on the website of The Churchill Centre:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=576

<quote>

He [Churchill] has described how Hazel Lavery [a famous painter and a friend of his] found him one day incapable of further action contemplating the snowy expanse of a new canvas upon which he had timorously made a mark about as big as a bean. Seizing a large brush Hazel splashed into the turpentine and as Winston described it:

"... wollop into the blue and the white, frantic flourish on the palette - clean no longer - and then several large, fierce strokes and slashes of blue on the absolutely cowering canvas. Anyone could see that it could not hit back.... The canvas grinned in helplessness before me. The spell was broken. The sickly inhibitions rolled away. I seized the largest brush and fell upon victim with berserk fury. I have never felt any awe of a canvas since."

</quote>

Maybe this helps inspire you?

Andrew

LinkedinFacebookFlickr

Elisa Bartels

Oct 23, 2008, 6:39:07 PM10/23/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
mmmm, now that's outside the square.
cheers
elisa

From: Andrew Rogers <casc...@gmail.com>
To: Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 6:18 PM

Tob...@aol.com

Oct 23, 2008, 10:48:09 PM10/23/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
     Elisa, start sketching everyday in your holey moley. I love that nick name that someone gave.;) The more you sketch, the better you become, & pretty soon, you have a fun moley to look back on. Take your moley everywhere. All you need is a ballpoint pen or a sharp pencil, or a mechanical pencil. From there, you can add more drawing supplies.

     Toby

Thank you for all your replies.  With so much good advice I feel as if
I am in the old 'Kung Fu" television series with David Caradine.  From
now on call me 'grasshopper'.  I didn't realise so many Holey Molers
were so Zen.  With all this spiritual moley advice I am sure to reach
Nirvana clutching my little perfect book with perfect little
scribbles, paste in, dreams and aspirations on every page; oh yeah and
probably a shopping list or two.
Any more good advice keep in coming.  That pesky Nirvana changes its
position quite regularly.
Thanks again to all my cyber-senseis.
Elisa

Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites, no registration required and great graphics – check it out!

Tob...@aol.com

Oct 23, 2008, 11:18:54 PM10/23/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
     Don't be shocked & agast. LOL! Just do it, as the Nike saying goes.

     Thank you so much for the Churchill link. I'm sending that to my online art group.

     Toby
Iam a visual arts student and the other day a
fellow student opened his Moleskine and just started scrawling notes
in it.  I was aghast with shock and envy.

I think it's fascinating you're an arts student, since what you are describing reminds me of a story from the life of Winston Churchill. I don't have my books handy to type out the full description, but I did find a summary and a partial excerpt on the website of The Churchill Centre:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=576

Elisa Bartels

Oct 27, 2008, 4:57:36 AM10/27/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advice.  I have 2 weeks of Uni left and then I am sure I'll be going Moley Crazy with all this great advice.
Cheers
Elisa