Accent Pen?!?

given

Jan 26, 2009, 12:46:23 PM1/26/09
to Moleskinerie
Hola, I am investigating using Highlighters in my moleskines for a
variety of reasons--mostly information that I want to copy somewhere
else is getting harder to find! Is anyone else is doing this? So far
my experience has been very informative...The first thing I learned is
that Highlighter appears to be a brand name for "accent pens", who
knew?

The next thing that I learned is that different inks respond VERY
differently to being written over with an accent pen--I could really
use some help with this--right now I am mostly making very bright skid
marks. I am using a Lamy with Parker ink.

Finally, the pen I am using (Paper Mate W20 Highlighter) is doing
fairly well on bleed through, but I assume that this can be a major
issues. I am looking to move to the Sharpie accent pens (smaller size
for pocket use). Has anyone tried those?

Thanks, David S

Jonathan King

Jan 26, 2009, 1:45:32 PM1/26/09
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I've found the Noodler bulletproof inks, as designed, are very resistant to smearing from highlighters - essentially none if I let it dry for a minute first.

svwa...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2009, 1:52:40 PM1/26/09
to Moleskinerie
I've found that the best highlighter (accent pen) is not a pen at
all. I've been using a Levenger True Writer 5.6mm pencil, which uses
5.6 mm Koh-I-Noor leads. They come in several colors, including the
usual highlighter colors (yellow, green, pink, etc.)

There's never any bleed-through, they go on dry, and since they don't
wet the underlying ink, there's no problem with that either. What's
more, they never dry out if left uncapped, and generally do not leave
yellow stains on my hands when I forget to pick it up the right way.

K-eM

Jan 26, 2009, 4:03:33 PM1/26/09
to Moleskinerie
I also use the thick pencil leads as a highlighter. The advantages,
in addition to the ones posted previously is that they also last a
really long time. The original batch I purchased has lasted me 5
years so far. I don't do A LOT of highlighting, but certainly a fair
amount.

Smitty

Jan 27, 2009, 10:09:28 AM1/27/09
to Moleskinerie
Because most Bibles are printed on very thin paper, highlighting
pencils are often sold in Christian bookstores. Steadler even markets
their pencils as "Bible Highlighters". There are many different
colors, sizes, and shapes to choose from. If you're in a North
American city of any size, there is probably at least one Christian
bookstore there - more than likely several. Chains to look for are
"Lifeway" and "Family Christian bookstores". (I have no affiliation to
either.) The Southern Baptist convention also has a series of "Baptist
Bookstores" (or they used to - haven't seen any in a while.) If you're
in the Southeast US, that's another option.

Another option to consider is a variety of inks/pens available to make
your notes. If you know you'll need to refer back to the information
later, enter it in a different color. This means you'll have to carry
more than one pen, or one with many different cartridges, but it's an
option. If the reference value of the notes is only realized in
hindsight, this would not be an option, of course.

wednesday

Jan 27, 2009, 9:25:50 PM1/27/09
to Moleskinerie
I've used both the Seasons Greetings and the rose-scented ink from
Montblanc and they dry quickly and don't smear. I don't know about the
regular Montblanc fountain pen ink, as the two I've tried were gifts.

I like the bible highlighter suggestion - I think I'll try that.
Thanks for asking this question, I thought the smearing was only
something to be tolerated, that there was no solution.
Message has been deleted

marcwomm

Jan 28, 2009, 3:51:45 AM1/28/09
to Moleskinerie
Hi.
I am using "wooden" highlighters in my Moleskines and not "wet"
highlighters. They are from Faber-Castell and are called "Textliners
Dry" and are available in all sorts of colours.
The advantage is for me that they are not bleeding or shining through
on the next pages which I found very annoying using the normal
highlighters.

Best regards
M.

Cognoscenti

Jan 28, 2009, 12:27:23 PM1/28/09
to Moleskinerie
Lamy pen with Parker ink? I was warned by my dealer that the solvent
in Parker 'Quink' inks will destroy most other makers' fountain pens
after a little while by eating away at the seals in the ink path.
I've been following her advice, but it would be good to get some
clarification on this!

sergio_101

Feb 2, 2009, 6:32:07 PM2/2/09
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Cognoscenti <justin.c...@gmail.com> writes:

> Lamy pen with Parker ink? I was warned by my dealer that the solvent
> in Parker 'Quink' inks will destroy most other makers' fountain pens

has anyone used any of the highliter inks from noodler's?

--
___
peace,