famous females of moleskine history?

lavinia

Oct 26, 2008, 4:31:14 AM10/26/08
to Moleskinerie
Here's a question for all the moleskine lovers out there...I know
about Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, Vincent Van Gogh, and Bruce
Chatwin, of course. What about famous women who used the moleskine?
Who are they?

AndyH

Oct 27, 2008, 3:43:25 AM10/27/08
to Moleskinerie
It's a marketing ploy. None of the above used a Moleskine.

sutton

Oct 27, 2008, 3:38:21 PM10/27/08
to Moleskinerie
Andy, note that Lavinia said "moleskine" not "Moleskine." It's like
saying "marble composition book," as opposed to "Roaring Spring
Composition Book." Yes, those people did moleskine-type notebooks,
though obviously they were not made by the modern company Moleskine,
which only came into existence recently.

lavinia

Oct 29, 2008, 3:08:40 PM10/29/08
to Moleskinerie
Right--what Sutton said. I'm familiar with the moleskine history, I've
just never found anything to suggest that famous women used the
tradition version of the contemporary trademarked Italian-made
version. Although Georgia O'Keefe rings a faint bell. Anyone? I'm
writing a book about keeping a travel journal (my deadline is
Saturday) and I haven't been able to find any answers. It's
maddening!

sutton

Oct 30, 2008, 11:31:28 AM10/30/08
to Moleskinerie
Sorry I don't know anyone by name. My guess would be that just about
any writer or artist you can think of probably used something
comparable, since there would probably have been a smaller variety of
notebooks available on the market. One famous female traveler and
writer who comes to mind is Dame Rebecca West, who wrote a definitive
travelogue and history of the Balkans and -- I think -- may have been
married to H.G. Wells. I'm guessing she had to have been a travel
journal keeper.

Elisa Bartels

Oct 30, 2008, 6:25:58 PM10/30/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
What about Freya Stark.  Intrepid female explorer who managed to gain access to parts of the Middle East before many men.  She has written books about her travels so guessing there was a journal there somewhere.

lavinia

Oct 31, 2008, 5:57:09 PM10/31/08
to Moleskinerie
Thanks for the suggestions--I'll check into them! Of course there must
be hordes of fabulous historical women who used moleskines...I wonder
why they aren't involved in the whole "marketing ploy."