Pencil Recommendations

Stephanie

Oct 3, 2008, 5:35:03 PM10/3/08
to Moleskinerie
I'm sure this topic has been discussed on here before, but I can't
find it. Forgive the repetition if you've answered it before.

I'm currently a music student, and I have a music Moleskine that I use
periodically. I use Pilot V-Ball pens in my other Moleskines (yes, I'm
a multiple-Moleskine-er) but when writing music it's near impossible
to use pen. I'm looking for a good pencil to use. I prefer mechanical
pencils because although I like wooden pencils, I find it very
inconvenient to sharpen them all the time. I'm left-handed, so I need
something very thin so my hand doesn't ruin it (as much). I would also
really like a pencil that has a very good eraser, as the ones I'm
using now leave smudges all over the page when I erase. It's very
annoying.

One other detail - as I mentioned, I am a music student. That means
I'm broke. So if anyone has any suggestions of good pencils that are
reasonably cheap, I'd really appreciate them.

Again, sorry if this is a repeat question. If so, point me in the
direction of the previous thread!

--
Stephanie

JimL

Oct 4, 2008, 1:35:51 PM10/4/08
to Moleskinerie
For pencils I like the Pentel P205, available everyhere. It uses the
extra thin 0.5 mm lead, and has a special sleeve around the lead to
keep it from breaking. The eraser is ok, and you can buy refills.
But I prefer to just keep on my desks (home and office) those big pink
chunks--smooth, clean, and never dry out.

While I am a fountain pen fan, I always use pencil in my notebooks,
calendar, and journals. - for neatness, and no bleed through.

Evan Edwards

Oct 4, 2008, 3:03:48 PM10/4/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday 04 October 2008, JimL wrote:
> While I am a fountain pen fan, I always use pencil in my notebooks,
> calendar, and journals.  - for neatness, and no bleed through.

Alas, I have journals from the 80s in pencil that are already nearly unable
to be read. Mechanical pencils probably help a good deal - I can easily tell
when the pencil was sharp because the text is more legible.

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/

JimL

Oct 4, 2008, 6:55:54 PM10/4/08
to Moleskinerie
Evan,
What do you mean? Was it from a non-sharp pencil, hence a wide line
in very small handwriting?

Evan Edwards

Oct 5, 2008, 3:08:05 PM10/5/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday 04 October 2008, JimL wrote:
> What do you mean?  Was it from a non-sharp pencil, hence a wide line
> in very small handwriting?

As the line gets wider, it becomes faded quicker over time. It's not
particularly not-sharp, just the normal "used for awhile" pencil. Even the
sharp parts has faded as well, just not as profoundly.

Qeran

Oct 29, 2008, 4:20:06 PM10/29/08
to Moleskinerie
I found some 1$ mechanical pencil packages of 5 at the Dollar Store.
They use medium leads and the refills are 1$ also.
Besides the regular look of mech. pencils, the store also has colored
pencils with soft gel-type grip areas. So-o-o comfortable. So cheap.