Model A Value

hal

Jul 16, 2019, 8:20:33 AM7/16/19
to Model A Ford Forum
I own a ‘29 Ford Model A 5-window coupe and was wondering what the value might be.  My father bought this car in 1958, and I drove it around my little community as a young teen. Being mechanically inclined I decided to overhaul the engine in 1968 - boring the cylinders, replacing the pistons, rings and rods; having the crankshaft turned and bearings rebabbitted, and seating the valves. It was a very interesting project, and the rebuilt engine ran great; I could crank it with a half turn of the hand crank.  But school, work, marriage and kids came along. I built a shop to store this car and have turned the crank periodically to ensure good movement. My plans all along were to repair/replace from the concrete up; but dwindling enthusiasm, along with many comments to leave the car “as is” have changed my thinking. The car is in "used condition" essentially as it was in 1958, and I believe it has the original paint. The front fenders have typical cracks, maybe due to the number of kids it hauled at one time. The glass is all there except the driver's side window is broken.  I have the bumpers, radiator and grill, horn, the hood and trunk lid, headlights (one lens is broken), the wheels with recent tires, and the engine parts I replaced, along with the original bill of sale and ‘58 tag.

Would anyone have an idea of value for this car and where I might find a buyer?  I live in north Alabama.  Thanks in advance for any comments.

hal

G Terence Reuland

Jul 17, 2019, 9:13:16 AM7/17/19
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Hal, hard to evaluate, perhaps I can compare to mine, 1928 phaeton which was partially restored in 60’s with engine rebuild like yours, rechromed, repainted original color and some bondo. Bondo is cracking, paint aging. Top replaced many years ago. Seats have a vinyl material. Car runs well, rebuilt carb. So pretty much original driver car with aging body work. A national judge happened to see it when I took to a local cruise in and said don’t restore it, it’s a good original condition car.   He estimated value (about 5 yrs ago) at 12-15k. Don’t know if that helps but thought it might be a “vague” comp.
Terry