backfireing

Bobby Godwin

Oct 10, 2014, 6:16:04 PM10/10/14
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
I have been having this problem with my 31 deluxe roadster since I got it.  My car cranks well enough and runs good.  My problem is that after I drive it for a little while, like five or ten miles, and then turn it off for just a short time, when I crank it back up it backfires, spits back through the carb and will not take the gas, so it has very little power.  If I can keep it going for about three miles it straightens out and runs well again.  If I turn it off and it sits long enough to cool down well, it will run fine then.  I cleaned the filter screens in the carb out and this did not help.  I had the carb removed and taken apart and soaked in some carb cleaner and reassembled and put back on the car.  I thought that this would do the trick, but no.  It didn't help.  I think that it's vapor locking or purculating.  If it's doing that, what can I do about it?  If you have any idea about what's happening with my car,  please let me know and tell me what I may be able to do about it.  Thanks, Bobby Godwin, Valdosta, Ga.

Richard Barrett

Oct 13, 2014, 11:44:27 AM10/13/14
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
I would replace the condenser as they are famous for heat related issues. They even make a plate to go under the distributer to prevent heat soak of the condenser. Hope this helps.

Dick

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 10, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Bobby Godwin <bogo...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

[...]

Bobby Godwin

Nov 9, 2014, 10:27:30 PM11/9/14
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Richard.  I just read your reply.  I have not had a chance to test this out yet, but will.  BTW, my wife was a Barrett too.

Hal Davis

Nov 11, 2014, 12:46:31 PM11/11/14
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
My A doesn't like the new E-10 gas on hot days. It's fine going down the road, but come into town and stop at a light and it wants to go dead. I can richen the mixture 2-3 turns (Yes, I said 2-3 full turns) and it might keep running without having to play with the throttle. When the light changes and it gets moving again, it cools down and runs fine with the mixture screwed back in. I don't know if it is technically "Vapor Lock", but I think the fuel is boiling in the bowl and the engine is not getting fuel like it should. I hesitate to say this on the forum, but I found that putting a little diesel in with the gas prevents this. Say about 1/2 gallon to a full tank of gas.