Model A Engine Coolant

Hal Thompson

May 31, 2018, 10:36:47 AM5/31/18
to Model A Ford Forum
I have a 1930 coupe which I haven't cranked in a while, and want to start it up to see how it runs.  I am reassembling the radiator system (the coolant was drained a while ago), and I just want to fill the system with water (and no antifreeze) for this test run.  Does anyone know if I can drain enough of the water from the engine after the run to prevent any possible freezing damage to the engine later in the year?

Frknapp3

May 31, 2018, 12:40:08 PM5/31/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Why not completely drain the system?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2018, at 2:51 PM, Hal Thompson <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a 1930 coupe which I haven't cranked in a while, and want to start it up to see how it runs.  I am reassembling the radiator system (the coolant was drained a while ago), and I just want to fill the system with water (and no antifreeze) for this test run.  Does anyone know if I can drain enough of the water from the engine after the run to prevent any possible freezing damage to the engine later in the year?

Hal Davis

May 31, 2018, 12:45:00 PM5/31/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
I think he is asking if he drains the system, does all the water come out or will there be enough residual water in the system to cause a problem if it were to freeze. I think it will be fine.

Frknapp3

May 31, 2018, 1:57:18 PM5/31/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Gotha! I agree

Sent from my iPhone

,

Jun 3, 2018, 10:46:09 AM6/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com

Hal

Jun 3, 2018, 10:46:45 AM6/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
I plan to drain everything. I wonder if the engine cooling cavities will retain water and freeze and damage the engine?

MyPhone / hst

,

Jun 3, 2018, 12:41:34 PM6/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
All liquid will be removed when you drain the radiator !

-----Original E REMOVED WHEN YOU DRAIN THE RADIATOR Message-----