Vacuum wiper motor install

telmore64

Oct 3, 2018, 9:56:15 AM10/3/18
to Model A Ford Forum
Hello, I recently bought a 1930 Ford Model A pickup that came with electric wipers. I don't know how original these were to the car but I was thinking about installing a vacuum motor to make it closer to original. A couple of things on my truck is there 1. No vacuum port on the intake manifold, 2. No vacuum piping whatsoever under the hood or in the cab but there is a hole in the firewall where the piping would go. 3. On the outside of the window frame behind the electric motor there are some holes drilled that have been filled in with putty that don't seem to line up with the mounting holes on the Trico vacuum motor that I have. Also there doesn't appear to be any holes large enough that would be for the vacuum hose to pass through for the motor and on the inside of the cab on the upper part of the inside window frame there is the U channel notch which I assume is for the vacuum motor control knob and  shaft but there doesn't appear to be any holes opposite leading to the outside of the frame. As far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be holes filled in at some point with bondo either.

Thank You
Tom Elmore
Anchorage, Alaska

Frknapp3

Oct 3, 2018, 10:36:14 AM10/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Many came with electric wipers.
That’s why the intake manifold has no port for vacuum.
Forget the vacuum wiper, electric are correct and much more efficient!

Sent from my iPhone

Don Turley

Oct 3, 2018, 2:46:01 PM10/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom. The “Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards”, 2016 revisions, page 20-2, the  “Windshield Wiper Master Chart” shows that commercial vehicles use a hand wiper through June 1929. In June 1929 commercial vehicles then began using a vacuum wiper. According to this chart, there were no electric wipers installed on commercial vehicles.

It is possible, and very likely, that your intake manifold and your windshield frame are not original to the vehicle. Many parts have been replaced on these old vehicles over the years. If you want your Pickup to be per the “Restoration Guidelines”, with a vacuum wiper, then you will need to find an original intake manifold with the port for the vacuum wiper connection. You might possibly weld up the holes in your windshield frame and drill new holes to accommodate the vacuum wiper motor and fittings. Or, you can search for an original windshield frame that has the correct vacuum wiper mounting holes. New vacuum wiper metal tubing and fittings are available from most of the Model A parts suppliers.

I see where you posted your same question on www.FordBarn.com and on www.vintagefordforum.com, where you stated your engine number is A2978529, which is a March 1930 number. If your engine is original to the vehicle, then your Pickup has the same type cab as the 1928 - 1929 Pickup, body style 82-A. The 82-B style Pickup with the more rounded type cab was introduced in June 1930.

I have assumed that your Pickup is a Closed Cab. If it is an Open Cab, then the body style is 76-A.

If you are not too concerned about having the correct wiper on your truck, then the electric wipers do a much better job at wiping rain from the windshield than the vacuum wipers. Better yet, just use Rain-X.

Best Regards,

Don Turley

Eric Shogren

Oct 3, 2018, 5:54:05 PM10/3/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
Good point about RainX, because if it’s raining hard enough that the RainX isn’t working, you won’t have any brakes either :0

Sent from my iPhone

Steve Jessen

Oct 7, 2018, 8:33:18 PM10/7/18
to Model A Ford Forum
While I try to never take the A out in the rain, it is always a kick to see the vacuum wiper work. When under acceleration it slows way down but let up on the gas and watch it go. You have to learn how to drive in the rain with one. :)