gas tank shut off valve

jim...@aol.com

Mar 6, 2018, 11:19:35 AM3/6/18
to Model A Ford Forum
Gas tank shut off valve is stuck closed with full tank of gasoline.  Need a how to fix

Administrator

Mar 6, 2018, 11:26:42 AM3/6/18
to Model A Ford Forum
What year is the A?  Inside our on cowl fuel shut oft?  In any case, you can drain the tank by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and drain the fuel into a container.  Be careful if tank is full, you'll need up to an 11 gallon container. After fuel is emptied, you can remove the valve for repair or replacement.

Don Turley

Mar 6, 2018, 12:15:57 PM3/6/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com

If the fuel shut-off valve is stuck closed and you are unable to open it, you will not be able to drain it at the fuel line as previously suggested. You will either have to siphon the gas out, or, remove the valve and catch the gas in buckets. This could be very dangerous. Disconnect the battery and move the car outdoors.

Personally, I would make another attempt to get the valve to open. It may just be tight, not stuck. Try harder.

mvanbeuren

Mar 6, 2018, 3:03:55 PM3/6/18
to modelaf...@googlegroups.com
The first thing I would do is spray some brake-away fluid on it, and let it sit for a few hours. They make several brands. Then take a pair of pliers and see if you can loosen it, If not, try the process again.  If all else fails, you will need to remove the valve.  Before I would Do this, I would try everything to loosen the valve, since you have a full tank.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.