Fw: Klaxon Horn

dchambers

Jan 14, 2009, 3:13:47 PM1/14/09
to model-T-F...@googlegroups.com

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:36
Subject: Klaxon Horn

Bill,

My name is Colin Dillon and I work for the Charleston Symphony Orchestra. I know this may seem random, but we have a concert this weekend and we need a Klaxon horn for one of the pieces we are performing. The last time that we used one we borrowed it from a place here in Charleston, however, that was a couple of years ago and I'm not really sure where the auto shop was located. I was wondering if you know where I might find one. Let me know what you think. Thank you very much.

Colin Dillon
Operations Coordinator
Charleston Symphony Orchestra
(843) 364-7181

ford...@aol.com

Jan 14, 2009, 9:26:17 PM1/14/09
to Co...@charlestonsymphony.com, Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
Colin,

There are several different sounding ahooga type horns. The 1928-1931 Fords all came with one standard from the Ford factory.  They sound like the one at:    http://www.ahooga.com/ahooga_wav.shtml  and are powered by a six volt battery.  If you keep the horn button depresses they will continue to honk and can be honked longer than the one at that link.

The earlier Model T Fords and many other early cars sometimes added an accessory Klaxon / ahooga horn that was hand powered.  I.e. you push a plunger that spins a wheel that vibrates the horn's diaphragm.  They sound very similar to the ahooga at the site above.  They can only do a short ahooga and cannot be held for extra seconds as the plunger goes down (or in) and make the noise while the plunger is moving.  Below is picture of a Stewart Warning Signal that is one of those aftermarket Klaxon/ahooga horns.  It is a rather loud horn in a small room but would probably need amplification for an auditorium.

If you would like to borrow it, you may.  Hopefully you will find one closer to you but if not we could mail it or if you know of someone headed that way we could arrange to have them take it to you.

Warm Regards,

Hap Tucker
803-469-7792
Sumter SC

Stewart Warning Signal-lr.jpg

Jerry Allison

Jan 26, 2009, 8:58:04 AM1/26/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
I just got a link to this u-tube model-t video. I had not seen this one before.

It’s quite a nice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4KrIMZpwCY

Jerry Allison
Augusta, GA

William Simmons

Jan 26, 2009, 12:34:30 PM1/26/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the video.
I am considering purchasing a 1919 Model TT
Can you suggest anywhere I might look to get a better handle on it's worth?
Bill

bill_d

Feb 7, 2009, 11:52:28 AM2/7/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
Jack Crabtree here in Goose Creek has one for sale, it is a 1917 and
has all of the parts with it. It needs some body wor as well as an
overhaul but it runs. I can ask him for a price and if you wish I
could take a picture for you. Bill D.