Serial #

bill_d

Jun 1, 2009, 3:27:47 PM6/1/09
to SCMTFC
I thought that I did well in taking a picture of the serial # of my
1925 Model T on the top of the frame on the passenger side but this
does not satisfy the SCDMV. They want to view it so this means I
have to cut a hole in the floor of the cab on the passenger side
above the frame. If someone has a 1924-1926 T and can see the serial
# on the frame, I would appreciate the dimensions of the location.
Otherwise I will have to cut a long slot until I locate it. Bill D,

ford...@aol.com

Jun 1, 2009, 6:29:54 PM6/1/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

1.  I'm 99% sure the SC DMV will not require you to cut a hole in your car to show the VIN for a Model T Ford that is registered as  a 1909-1927 year model.
2.  You should be able to lift up the front floorboards and show them the number stamped onto the frame (assumes a Dec. 12, 1925 or later vehicle (i.e. 1926 or 1927 model)   see:  http://mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Chassis2 ).
3.  The number should be the same as the one on the engine.
4.  You state you have a 1925 car -- if it is a 1925 model year -- it would have been assembled before Dec 12, 1925 and it would NOT have the chassis stamped with the number from the factory.  If it is after Dec 12, 1925 the attached word document has photos showing where to look.  If you cannot use a word document let me know and I will send it as a picture.  Note -- it can be stamped on either frame rail -- the were building cars and were in a hurry.  You can also find the same pictures on the MTFCA forum -- that is where I snagged them.
5.  When I registered my 1918 in SC -- they wanted to verify the VIN.  I took them out to the trailer, opened the hood, and showed them the number stamped above the water inlet on the driver's side of the vehicle.  They were happy.  No one said anything about cutting a hole in the hood so the number could be seen all the time.
6.  Are you trying to register a vehicle that was assembled from parts and/or that was never registered before?  It sounds like we are missing part of the puzzle pieces as the SCDMV is usually helpful -- or at least here in Sumter they have been.

If we can be of some help -- please contact us.

Respectfully,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout.  Sumter SC.

Serial number location.doc

ray green

Jun 2, 2009, 9:10:30 PM6/2/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com
Hi there all, this is a interesting email on a club that must have a chassis number to take your car into it as if a club is that pedantic then I would tell them to stick it and join another club, there is so many other ways to work out the year of a car with out that or get a mirror on a stick and a torch and look that way and what if the chassis was replaced in its life time then there would be no number to see, out here our cars had no number on the chassis and only the engine number and we look at the car, the number, the front of the body from the radiator to windscreen and what history it has and its in as the cars are getting fewer in number now and the older members park them away and they do not come out and made up car come out as speedsters, C cabs other body stiles from photos and a 1911 with a big drum rear end and 27 wires is not a 1911, the younger car enthusiasts these day do not want pre1960  as they are to slow ,no heaters, no wind up windows, air conds or do not do 100 miles a hour so the older car movement is diying out or becoming hot rods which happend to two of our cars last year so be thankful for what you get and any new members as we are.
 last year we were made by the department of transport put chassis numbers on our car so they could keep records more up to date even through it has worked well for 40 years with out them so to shut them up we either stamped our engine number on a square alloy plate and pop riveted it to the chassis under the floor on the LH side front so no one will see it and forget it or if the owner wanted to they put it next to the LH front guard bracket and it looks bad but its another car on the road.
As a side question, why is the floor boards unable to be lifted and look in that way as they where only dropped in and a screw fitted to hold them down and if his floor is one peice with the body how do you expect to work on the transmission bands?.
You guys are lucky one when it comes to one make clubs as I was before I moved.
I have now moved from Sydney to the bush 200 miles from the coast inland and our local club takes cars from 1900 to 1980 and it had to run a 1913T against a mustang or toyota sedan on a 150 mile tour in 2 hours and I tried it two weeks ago and the T just gave up and went bang and stopped so we did not finish....good luck to all the members and keep on the road..... Ray Green.. Australia

Glenn Storck

Jun 4, 2009, 9:25:50 AM6/4/09
to Model-T-F...@googlegroups.com

Ray Green

You seem to have missed the point of the E mail.  It is not the South Carolina Model T Club requesting the serial number of the car, it is the state of South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles requirement to get the vehicle properly registered in the state.  This is fairly common here in the states, I do not know about Australia.  Good luck with your move to the bush.

Glenn Storck