Mistletoe Matters News

Jonathan Briggs

Apr 6, 2007, 3:23:12 AM4/6/07
to Mistletoe Matters
Hello Mistletoe Lovers

This Mistletoe Matters discussion thread has been rather quiet -
perhaps this is inevitable for the time of year, but please do post
news and views if you have them!

There has been some progress on the London mistletoe project in the
last fwe weeks and planning for the 2007 Tenbury Wells Mistletoe
Festival.

The Mistletoe Festival will be concentrated on just one weekend this
year - Friday 30th November through to Tuesday 4th December. Details
of events are not yet available, though there will probably be a
mistletoe ceremony/procession on Saturday 1st - National Mistletoe
Day, and I hope we will have a visit from the Druidic Mistletoe
Foundation on the morning of Tuesday 4th. The future of the Mistletoe
Auctions is still very uncertain - but we are currently assuming there
will be auctions on Tuesday 27th November and 4th December.

The London mistletoe project has included many new mistletoe plantings
around London. Details are still being collated but will be posted on
the London Mistletoe wiki site (http://londonmistletoe.wikispaces.com)
soon. Locations included Lambeth Palace, home of the Archbishop of
Canterbury. I spent an interesting morning there planting mistletoe
on his pleached limes... pictures will be posted on the London site
soon.

Other initiatives underway include some attempts to quantify the
economic value of msitletoe in apple orchards - what financial value
does the mistletoe crop bring? Any thoughts on this would be very
welcome, as it is proving rather problematic.

Regards

Jonathan Briggs

Jonathan Briggs

Apr 16, 2007, 3:44:47 PM4/16/07
to Mistletoe Matters
Whilst I'm in emailing mode, some snippets of news:

TEME mistletoe grow-kits (www.teme-mistletoe.co.uk) are now longer
available after this week - until next year. They were lots of orders
this season, with a bias to the north and west - many in Scotland &
Ireland. Maybe I should plot the recipients on a map - as it looks
like they might exactly coincide with areas where mistletoe is
naturally uncommon.

And talking of mistletoe distribution - three quick items of interest:
1. For those curious about the national database - take a look at my
reply to John Hardisty for more details
2. Charles Nelson (late of Glasnevin Botanic Garden, Dublin, now
based in Cambridge) has been collating Irish mistletoe records - I
think he's probably completed his studies now, but do say if you've
got info on Irish mistletoe - I'll make sure news of his report is
posted in due course
3. Duncan Vere of Essex has recently completed a 30-year study of
distribution/increase in colonies in SW Essex - again I'll make sure
news of this is posted in due course.

Cheers

Jonathan

On Apr 6, 8:23 am, "Jonathan Briggs" <jonathanbri...@mistletoe.org.uk>