Symbology

M O

Jun 29, 2011, 8:23:24 PM6/29/11
to Solresol
Another thing I've been thinking about is whether or not Solresol
should have a flag or some other sign of some sort? What are some
possibilities for representing Solresol? Besides 525 :)

Garrison Osteen

Jun 30, 2011, 5:34:03 PM6/30/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com
Well, the easy answer would be colors - Blue Orange Blue in either vertical or horizontal stripes... Perhaps overlayed with either the shorthand symbol for Solresol (horizontal-vertical-horizontal) on top of it, or another word that epitomizes the idea of Solresol besides "Solresol" so as to avoid redundancy. That's just my thought.

Garrison

Jun 30, 2011, 6:25:39 PM6/30/11
to Miso...@googlegroups.com, miso...@googlegroups.com
Oh, also - speaking of colors... The idea of asigning the colors of the rainbow to the syllables is great, but it seems to me that "indigo" and "violet" aren't the best ideas. I don't think most people even know what the difference really is, and computer screens can't technically display true "violet". On Wikipedia the blue is split into a light blue and a dark blue, which is an easy distinction to make (many languages actually have a different word for each of them, considering them separate colors). What does everyone think about this?

Simio

Jul 6, 2011, 9:56:10 PM7/6/11
to Solresol

M O

Jul 12, 2011, 11:02:38 PM7/12/11
to Solresol
Yeah, and I like how in that thread they use an adapted Arabic writing
system for Solresol.

Garrison, about the colors, I don't think it's such a big deal. I see
Solresol as a really flexible language. It's the language of
seven...so sometimes the color scheme using indigo and purple/violet
could be used (and this could even be the "official" color pattern),
and sometimes the one with light and dark blue. Heck, someone could
even create a version using black and/or white. What I want to know
is, since I really like the idea of expressing Solresol with colors,
is there a way to write here using different colored boxes, so that
just colors appear without text? That'd be cool 8)

Garrison

Jul 13, 2011, 12:11:07 AM7/13/11
to Miso...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense - within a couple words it would be clear which system is being used. And then yes, I think that Indigo and Violet should be the "official" one, since historically that's how it was defined (And part of what I love about Solresol is the history of it - it feels like opening up a time capsule or something :D ).

As far as color typing goes - a suppose one could use large asterisks or pound signs or something, but I'll be looking out for a box-typing method :)

### etc. Though actually that looks quite sloppy.

Garrison

Jul 13, 2011, 12:11:50 AM7/13/11
to Miso...@googlegroups.com
(Oh, and thanks for posting that, Simio :) I like seeing that some other people are using Solresol out there)

Garrison

Aug 2, 2011, 1:31:45 AM8/2/11
to Miso...@googlegroups.com
Also, as for colored boxes:

◼     !

Hopefully that's formatted fine, and you can see it.
As far as I can tell, the symbol's information is:
Unicode: 25FC
UTF8: E2 97 BC

I'm not sure if that helps you find it; you can always just copy these ones. ▉

There are also some more that I just found:

▉▉▉
▊▊▊
▋▋▋
███