Solresol Forum

Dan Parson

Aug 10, 2011, 10:01:47 AM8/10/11
to Solresol
A few group members have expressed interest about having a forum
system, rather than continuing to use this rather limited Google
Group. Seeing as I have already built a small Solresol resource
website, I am now offering to host a forum system for the development
and advancement of Solresol. Before I can proceed, I want some
opinions on a few things. Since you guys will likely be the first
members, you get a role in decision-making!

1. Would anyone object to the use of phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com ) as
the forum system? It's the system with which I have the most
experience modifying and administering, and I think it would really
suit this community well.

2. Would anyone object to me copying the topics here over to the
forums, for continuity purposes? I would post them from a special
account to state their origin, and of course include credit to the
original posters.

3. I've put together a possible list of forums. Does this list look
sufficient for our needs at this point? The very top level is
categories, and the rest are forums within the categories. Forum
descriptions are in parentheses.

Solresol Development
Vocabulary Development
Grammar Development
Forms of Solresol
Full
Abbreviated
Number
Music Note
Stenograph
General Discussion
Discussions in Solresol (Solresol is strongly encouraged, but not
required)
Website Headquarters
Introductions (Introduce yourself to the Sidosi community)
News and Announcements (Information related to the Sidosi community
or the Solresol language)
Website Support (Report website issues, suggestions, and comments)

As always, if anyone has anything to say about these plans, go ahead!

Garrison Osteen

Aug 10, 2011, 1:08:52 PM8/10/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that'd be great if you could do that! I'm certainly in favor of everything you just said. I don't know much (anything) about phpBB, but if you're comfortable using it I think we might as well go with it.

I think it'd be good to add a "translations" section on the forum, to discuss translations into or out of Solresol.

Would it be relatively easy with the forum to see where new posts had been made? That's the one thing I like about the google group; I get an email and on the group's page it's in bold.

You're awesome, Dan! Thanks for all the thought and time :)

Dan Parson

Aug 11, 2011, 12:22:20 AM8/11/11
to Solresol
The "Solresol Development" category is for discussing translations,
and I broke it up into sections about vocabulary, grammar, and the
forms of Solresol. In hindsight, I think I'll combine the vocabulary
and grammar forums into one, then give each form of Solresol a forum
under "Solresol Translations". It might have been counter-productive
forcing the separation of vocabulary and grammar, and I think a single
forum for each form of Solresol will still get the job done. I can
change things later if it doesn't work out.

So the previous "Solresol Development" category would look like this
(with added descriptions):

Solresol Translations
Full (Solresol using the written-out syllables: do, re, mi, ...)
Abbreviated (Solresol using the abbreviated syllables: d, r,
m, ...)
Number (Solresol using numbers: 1, 2, 3, ...)
Music Note (Solresol using music notes on a staff)
Stenograph (Solresol using glyphs)

As far as "new post" notifications, the icons for forums and topics
are red if there's a new post in that forum or topic, and blue if
there isn't, so that's one way to notice new posts. There are links on
each page called "View unread posts" and "View new posts" which are
pretty self-explanatory. You can also subscribe to topics and forums,
and get an email when someone posts (only on the first new post,
though). Finally, there's a modification I can do where you can
receive a new email for each new post (similar to this group). Posting
will require going to the site, but I think we'll all appreciate a
unified way to post messages with formatting.

Thanks for the feedback, Garrison, and if anyone else has anything to
say, please do!

On Aug 10, 12:08 pm, Garrison Osteen <garost...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, that'd be great if you could do that! I'm certainly in favor of
> everything you just said. I don't know much (anything) about phpBB, but if
> you're comfortable using it I think we might as well go with it.
>
> I think it'd be good to add a "translations" section on the forum, to
> discuss translations into or out of Solresol.
>
> Would it be relatively easy with the forum to see where new posts had been
> made? That's the one thing I like about the google group; I get an email and
> on the group's page it's in bold.
>
> You're awesome, Dan! Thanks for all the thought and time :)
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Dan Parson <mu...@danielparson.com> wrote:
> > A few group members have expressed interest about having a forum
> > system, rather than continuing to use this rather limited Google
> > Group. Seeing as I have already built a small Solresol resource
> > website, I am now offering to host a forum system for the development
> > and advancement of Solresol. Before I can proceed, I want some
> > opinions on a few things. Since you guys will likely be the first
> > members, you get a role in decision-making!
>
> > 1. Would anyone object to the use of phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com) as

M O

Aug 11, 2011, 10:29:19 PM8/11/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Hurray! I'm on board. :D

Um, I'm fine with transferring all the messages from here to the forum, but there are some less chatty members in the group. Maybe they could message you directly if they don't feel like saying it in the thread?

As for suggestions, how about about some sub-forums? Meaning, I realize thus far all the discussion is taking place in English, and will continue to at this rate, but I'd like for people who don't speak English fluently/at all to feel welcome in the Solresol community, and so maybe some forums like: En Esperanto, En Español, En Français, Po Polsku, etc. At this point we can't accommodate every language, but it's a start and maybe eventually someone who's bilingual in English and Chinese or English and Arabic will join and further subforums could be added, where natives of other languages could ask questions about learning Solresol

And I think we should still keep this google group active somewhat, and just move the focus to the forum. Not to be Mr. Negative, but I just fear the possibility of a DOS attack or some other attack on the forum for someone's lulz, and this way with two "homes" for Solresol, we could still continue on, should anything happen.

Garrison

Aug 13, 2011, 10:17:15 PM8/13/11
to Miso...@googlegroups.com, miso...@googlegroups.com
This all sounds great! :)

How long of a project do you think making the forum useable is? No pressure or rush, of course, just wondering.

Dan Parson

Aug 14, 2011, 4:36:39 AM8/14/11
to Solresol
M O: About transferring posts, I won't transfer the "Hello!" or "Is
this group active?" topics, since those are people giving personal
information they might not want copied, and they're not really
relevant to Solresol in general. Plus, it gives everyone another
chance to say "Hello" to a new community. If anyone doesn't want
another post of theirs copied, they can either say now, or report the
post on the forums, and I'll gladly remove it. Also, I won't be
copying over full email addresses, only the hidden way
(mu...@danielparson.com) Google has them. I figure it won't do any
harm copying what is already publicly viewable information, especially
since it'll give us a start to the forums. I'm a big privacy advocate
myself, so I respect other people's opinions about privacy.

Good idea about international forums. Right now I think I'll have a
forum for each language, under an "International Forums" category. If
any forum shows enough growth, I can split it like our English forums.
I think to start, I'll have English, Esperanto, Spanish, French,
German, Polish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese. If
there are any others wanted, they can be requested, and I'll do my
best to accommodate them on the site.

You do make a good point about attacks on the site. I'll have the site
and database in my backup routine, so worst case we lose a day of
forum posts. I also have another server that could temporarily host
the site if needed, though it's not an ideal situation (of course
neither is losing the main server). I agree we should not let this
group drop out of existence, and I plan on cross-posting significant
news about Sidosi and Solresol to this group.

Garrison: The forum system's installed, and right now I'm adding the
categories and forums. I'll also be adding the language packs for the
languages I listed above. Finally, I'll create an account (probably
named Misolrela) and copy the posts from here into the forum. I'm
thinking about being clever, and launching the rest of the site
tomorrow (Aug. 15), since it's Solresol Day! That'll give me time to
finish the first version of the translator. I thought of more ideas
for the translator, and started working on them, but I don't want
feature creep to delay things any longer, so I'll just add my ideas to
the roadmap.

Travis

Aug 14, 2011, 5:25:32 AM8/14/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com
I am in awe of some people's abilities. Look forward to this forum. And the translator.

Sent from my iPod

Garrison Osteen

Aug 14, 2011, 2:05:47 PM8/14/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, that sounds great! Excellent work, Dan :D

M O

Aug 14, 2011, 9:26:42 PM8/14/11
to miso...@googlegroups.com

Good stuff 8)

How about under “Forms of Solresol” adding “Proposals” or something similar for other new ways of expressing Solresol, such as by adapting the Devanagari abugida or the Japanese syllabary or some other system?

And since it’s the 15th in some time zones, Happy Solresol Day, everyone! Solsire Doremi lasi Solresol :D

Dan Parson

Aug 14, 2011, 9:58:37 PM8/14/11
to Solresol
That's actually what the "Forms of Solresol" forums was for, but I
suppose I can make a separate sub-forum for clarity.

Happy Solresol Day and Solsire Doremi lasi Solresol to everyone as
well!

Quick status update in case anyone catches this. Translator is all set
to go, and works fine from my tests. If it wasn't tested enough
before, it sure will be over the next few days! The forums are almost
set as well. Copying over the posts from here ended up being pretty
tedious, but I'm about 60-70% done. Then I just have to post
announcement topics about a few things, and everything will be done!
I'm planning on opening the forums and translator at 12 AM CDT, which
is 5 AM UTC/GMT. Thanks for the support, guys!