Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

M O

da leggere,
12 lug 2011, 23:09:3112/07/11
a Solresol
So another question I have is how to make/express names in Solresol.
Should all Solresol-speakers adopt Solresol words as names (Sunny,
Happy, Grumpy, etc. - heh like the 7 dwarves)? Or is there a way to
Solresolize names? On page 32 of the pdf, Sudre offers a phonetic
alphabet to be used for names, and I have a hard copy of it, which
unlike the pdf shows that the different syllables are represented by
different length notes (quarter, half, etc)...but I still can't make
sense of it. Anyone else want to give it a go and explain it to the
rest of us?

Garrison

da leggere,
13 lug 2011, 00:07:1313/07/11
a Miso...@googlegroups.com
I've been wondering that too - I think that it'd be natural to dish out Solresol 'nicknames'; coming up with a word that suits a particular person or which you like for some reason (for the musical interval, colors, meaning, etc.).
I think, though, that some sort of formal phoneticization either needs to be figured out the way Sudre had it or else created, simply for the sake of translating texts. What if I want to translate the Bible, or some other book, for instance? As soon as I hit a name of a place or person that isn't defined in Solresol I'm stuck.
One possibility, besides the phonetization thing, would be searching out a literal meaning/origin of a name and translating that. Another would be dedicating a part of the 5-syllable section to common/famous names (I'm pretty sure that almost all of the 5-syllable section is free and open to defining, unless we have some other source from the PDF I'm using.)
But getting Sudre's phonetic alphabet would be ideal, of course. Does your copy look very different or clearer? And if so, is it possible that you could upload it for us? :) I could try to make sense of it.

(Also, you have a hard copy?? Jealousy! :P )

M O

da leggere,
7 ago 2011, 21:21:5707/08/11
a Solresol
Yeah, I briefly thought we could just go around this problem so to
speak, by taking on Solresolian (Solresolic? Solresolish?) names and
that would be the end of it. But you're right. If we want to translate
works from other languages...we need to figure out how to incorporate
them into Solresol. I like the idea of going back to the roots of
words and finding the Solresol counterpart, but I'm not sure this
would work for names. How would you translate Gumby? Brisbane?
Legoland? So...I guess the real answer would be somewhere in between.
I'll try to find someone with a scanner to try and upload a better
image of the page I'm talking about. Hopefully, it'll come out clear
enough.

Also, I did a translation into Solresol of a Beatles song a while ago
(way before this group ever started) and I could post it here. There
were a lot of words not defined by Solresol, so I looked up the
etymology of the words (both the English and French versions of the
word) and then created something comparable in Solresol.

Garrison

da leggere,
7 ago 2011, 23:23:2807/08/11
a Miso...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, you should post that :D Which song is it?
And try to get your book scanned, if you can.

I think that for non-translation purposes taking on Solresol names would probably be the most natural, though. You can call mi "Reresolmi", if you want (to be garrisoned, garrison). I get the benefit of having an actual word as a name :)
(though I'm not positive I like that word yet)

Travis Mckenzie

da leggere,
8 ago 2011, 02:48:1608/08/11
a miso...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty sure Travis means crossroad in french. So I think my solresol name would be: Sidoresi Sifasolre.
Maybe it would just be Sifasolre, since that translates to traverse, and that is pretty close to Travis.

--
Here is the copy of my soul I uploaded to google. Come and say hello. It is fully interactive.

Garrison

da leggere,
8 ago 2011, 14:33:2908/08/11
a Miso...@googlegroups.com, miso...@googlegroups.com
I also just read that, along the same lines, it often meant "Gatekeeper". So you could be "Remifami" (though that also means concierge, janitor, and other less glamorous names, so you might not want that).
I like "Traverse", since it seems to resemble your real name :)

M O

da leggere,
9 ago 2011, 20:41:1109/08/11
a miso...@googlegroups.com

Reresolmi, Sifasolre – I like it 8)

Mine's original meaning was "gift of God," but I think it'd be a bit pretentious for me to call myself "remila lasi domisol." I'll have to think of something else :/

Garrison Osteen

da leggere,
9 ago 2011, 21:07:4409/08/11
a miso...@googlegroups.com