Haiku

Allan H

Sep 26, 2021, 11:39:30 AM9/26/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
Personally I like Haiku as the format is interesting.. 5 7 5 it works very well in japanese.

My original idea was adapt the idea from japanese character format into one using English characters.  Everyone is assuming syllables as the format standard into english ..
But why not convert it to a 3 line format..  short , long , short sentence length.. .
Granted my language skills are not the best and my spelling has greatly improved from 30 years ago (pre computer) .. the idea was a format that I (first person personal) could write without the pre determined formats considered poetry..
After 30 years I finally decided to call the format "clumping"

Allan

Do no harm

Richard Blay

Sep 26, 2021, 1:04:32 PM9/26/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
I tried my hands on haiku sometime ago. Following the rules haiku is not all that easy but interesting to read.
I had a friend who tried coaching me. He later gave up and I went back to free verse.

--

---

Allan H

Sep 26, 2021, 1:25:09 PM9/26/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
I know feeling
Counting each syllable
Five, seven five

Dictionary definitely
Not my kind friendly helper
Soul of tormentors

Rules broken
Bringing joy within
Write on!

God is not a myth!

Richard Blay

Sep 26, 2021, 2:01:57 PM9/26/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
Well expressed.
Perfect senryu.

allan...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2021, 2:25:13 PM9/26/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
Dank u
Kindness of words
Loving

~~~~🤗
Allan

do not murder; rape; or enslave others
God is not a myth
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/minds-eye/CADX92hV9Ev%2B8Z2aQM5XA-pPLqbGvseGOOSDdGo8fyQOF6qP_kA%40mail.gmail.com.

Allan

Oct 17, 2021, 9:43:10 AM10/17/21
to mind...@googlegroups.com
Guess what I found in spam folder but typical of google judgement
Personally I threw out the haiku rule book mainly for my inability with english and extremely poor spelling. I could program because I misspelled the word always the same way. So bad that my instructor really laughed.  I was reasonable at programming.. because my programs functioned properly.
Neither nor there.. I think haiku is about expressing an idea using three lines (nothing is set in concrete) preferably short long short..
Now ideally each line is a semi complete thought.. the with 2nd line adding to the first line (thought) not unlike building building a complete paragraph in English.
Now the 3rd line is used  bind the idea together,
An example might be;

Hard rain falling
Lighting flashes across sky
Tulips are blooming

Now I am exposing my ignorance of spelling, syllables and english
The idea is to create a thought using three lines and that is not hard and fast.. on rare occasion you might want to add a 4th line for emphasis.. do it to much you loose the effect..
Even heard of Friends getting together and one person writes the first line (his contribution finished) then another person write the second line of the three line format
Followed a person writing a 3rd line..
Now according to the original (1st book I read) the line don't have to be related, just what was on the person's mind at the moment.. afterwards they were read out loud for the entertainment of everyone
Who knows

Astronauts moon flying
Jumping into the swollen flood
Diggers finding treasure.