New Times Beer Writer

Bob Skilnik

Jul 8, 2007, 1:28:25 PM7/8/07
to Michia...@googlegroups.com
The Times of Northwest Indiana  http://nwi.com/  has offered me the position of beer writer for their paper. I've been freelance writing beer-themed articles for the Chicago Tribune since 1997, but they consider their readers more wanting of a regularly scheduled wine critic.

All I can say is "Thank the gods for the Times and their willingness to acknowledge the importance and nurturing of readers who want to read about beer!

I'm hoping this group will be willing and able to feed me info about beer and brewing activities in the paper's area of coverage. From going over their print and online statistics, the paper's actually GROWING, so I'd like to make my column as relevant as possible for their expanding readership. It looks like their coverage is the northeast portion of Illinois and northwest Indiana, down to Newton and Jasper counties, and over to the edges of Michigan City or so.

If you know of any brewpubs, breweries, homebrew clubs, beer bars with good selections, and even progressive beer distributors and liquor stores that I can use for local info, I'd appreciate the help.

This is a chance for local beer lovers to finally have a media outlet, with a paper willing to back the effort. I'm excited about this opportunity.

Thanks,

Bob Skilnik

Bob Skilnik is an alumnus of Chicago's Siebel Institute of Technology, the oldest brewing school in the U.S.; a former associate editor for the American Breweriana Journal; and a contributor to trade journals, magazines, and newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune's "Good Eating" section. He has appeared on ABC's The View, the Fox News Channel, ESPN2 and Chicago's WTTW.