Re: Hefe Weizen

Alexandre Enkerli

May 2, 2005, 10:51:03 PM5/2/05
to Ali Ishaq, Michia...@googlegroups.com
Two... cups? As in more than twice the amount recommended?
Whoa!
I know you had this big thing about carbonation but, but...
Ok...
Do you have goggles? ;-)

The advice people give is usually to uncap and recap so that you can
bleed off the extra CO2. As it's been extremely quick, you might want
to do that rather soon.

Relax, Don't Panic, Have a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster!

Jeffrey Sutter

May 2, 2005, 10:34:07 PM5/2/05
to Michia...@googlegroups.com, Ali Ishaq
Recap! Great idea. How many times? ;-)

Ali, I had no idea you used that much sugar. I was upstairs minding the boil.

I just racked the IIPA to a carboy. Mmmm, hops....

//jeff
riverside dr, south bend

Alexandre Enkerli

May 3, 2005, 12:58:00 AM5/3/05
to Michia...@googlegroups.com, Ali Ishaq
> BTW I did try to subscribe to Michiana brew...
Oh? Actually, I just added this (you're Yahoo! address). Your Gmail
address is subscribed too... In fact, as you were subscribed as
"Abridged email," I did the same thing for your Yahoo! account. Feel
free to change your options.

> Do you really think, I need to uncap and recap?
Yes.

> Or lowering the temprature by putting the bottles in the fridge will
> do the trick?
No. It would just slow down the fermentation. With the amount of sugar
you put in, the yeast will be very happy to do its job.

Actually, pasteurizing would work, but I'm not completely sure you want
to do that. Although, you could try it with a bottle or two... AFAIK,
you'd lose carbonation.

> Do you wanna come over and have a taste?
Yes. But I can't.
Sorry!

Relax, Don't Panic, Have a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster! (RDPHaPGGb)

Ali Ishaq

May 3, 2005, 11:43:44 PM5/3/05
to Alexandre Enkerli, Michia...@googlegroups.com
All is calm in beer-land. The Mongrel Ale is still bubbling away happily in the
basement and right next to it the Imperial Stout is brooding darkly. I
transferred all the potentially explosive Hefe Weizen to the fridge yesterday,
and there has been no 'event' detected since.
I had left a couple of bottles out though and I tried them today. There was
not too much carbonation, so the one bomb might have been a fluke. The beer
tastes good and finished.

We are having a party at our house on Thursday, and with the normal
conditioning time I would not have had a hope of having the Hefe Weizen ready
by then, but with the double dose of sugar it is ready. Therefore, I will, from
now on claim, that all this extra sugar was by design.... :-) Some of the beer,
especially what is in the twistoff bottles, will hopefully, get consumed on
thursday.

Cheers.

Ali
--- Alexandre Enkerli <enk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two... cups? As in more than twice the amount recommended?
> Whoa!
> I know you had this big thing about carbonation but, but...
> Ok...
> Do you have goggles? ;-)
>
> The advice people give is usually to uncap and recap so that you can
> bleed off the extra CO2. As it's been extremely quick, you might want
> to do that rather soon.

Henry Scott

May 3, 2005, 11:49:19 PM5/3/05
to Michia...@googlegroups.com
Hooray! I look forward to trying it this Thursday. Our IPA is doing
very well: there is a steady stream of CO2 coming from it, it is
churning around like crazy and the kraeusen is well developed. I
can't wait to try it!

-Henry

Alexandre Enkerli

May 5, 2005, 10:34:44 AM5/5/05
to Ali Ishaq, Michia...@googlegroups.com
Ali: Ok, so, if you can have your friends consume all that over-primed
beer during the party, you won't need to recap. But anything that is
left, I would strongly suggest that you recap. If it were anything
other than over-priming, I would probably tell you to let it go. But
this beer has so much sugar that it'll ferment its way out of the
bottle.

Henry: glad that your IPA is fermenting actively. Nott is as good a
yeast as any, for this. Next time, prepare a starter or, at least,
smack a couple of days in advance.

AleX in Montreal
[555.1km, 62.8] ApparentRennerianCoordinates