Apply for AMSA's Environmental Health Leadership Institute!

the terror that flaps in the night

Dec 1, 2008, 8:51:16 PM12/1/08
to medical...@googlegroups.com
Application can be found at: http://www.amsa.org/cph/ehli.cfm
Questions? Contact Sonia at sonia....@mssm.edu

Community and Environmental  Health
Action Committee

American Medical Student Association
Environmental Health Leadership Institute
New York, NY
February 13th – 15th, 2009

Application Deadline: Wednesday, December 12th, 2008 at 12:00 midnight EST

The first of its kind in AMSA history, this intense educational experience will bring together 12-15 students from around the country to discuss environmental justice as it pertains to the health of our future patients.  Topics will include the health impact of climate change, effects of the built environment, toxin exposure, and occupational safety.

The first day of the institute will be composed of lectures from prominent leaders in environmental health and will include an environmental health justice tour in NYC.  The rest of the institute will focus on what to do with this knowledge and how to take action to protect our patients' environments and improve poor conditions.  Teachers will be experienced activists and community organizers from the New York region.  Attendees will leave the institute with the ability to plan a long term campaign, lobby more effectively, recruit and engage volunteers, build coalitions and use direct action as an advocacy tool.  Participants are required to develop a project that they will enact locally in April in honor of Earth Day/Week.

Students accepted to the institute will be informed by the 1st of January.  Attendees are required to arrive in New York City on Thursday, February 12th and leave after the conclusion of the institute at 3pm on Sunday, February 15th.  Tuition for the institute is $100.  There is a non-refundable $50 deposit for attendees due on January 15th, 2009.  The remainder of tuition is due the week of the institute.  Tuition will cover lodging at a local hostel, breakfast and lunch for each day of the institute and any learning materials provided.  Attendees' schools are expected to pay tuition and any travel expenses for the student to attend the institute.  We can provide supporting documents to the student to make this request.  Funding should not be a deterrent to applying for and attending the institute.  If your school refuses to fund tuition and travel, please let us know immediately so we can assist you.

--
Mount Sinai MD/MPH Student
sonia....@mssm.edu