New, simple, and robust method to assess clinical agreement

Abhaya Indrayan

Sep 2, 2022, 4:38:42 AM9/2/22
to MedS...@googlegroups.com

Preprint, for your review.
Academia.edu

Direct use of clinical tolerance limits for assessing agreement: A robust nonparametric approach
Paper Thumbnail
Author Photo Abhaya Indrayan
2021, Preprint
View PDF ▸   Download PDF ⬇

ABSTRACT
Clinical agreement between two quantitative measurements on a group of subjects is generally assessed with the help of the Bland-Altman (B-A) limits. The interpretation regarding agreement is based on whether B-A limits are within the pre-specified clinical tolerance. Thus, clinical tolerance limits are necessary...
read more...

580 California St., Suite 400, San Francisco, CA, 94104

Unsubscribe   Privacy Policy   Terms of Service

© 2022 Academia

--
Dr Abhaya Indrayan,
Personal website: http://indrayan.weebly.com

Bruce Weaver

Sep 6, 2022, 4:06:09 PM9/6/22
to MedStats
Hello Dr. Indrayan.  I don't have an ACADEMIA account, so cannot view that pre-print.  But I assume it is the same method that was discussed in this thread:
Is that right?

Cheers,
Bruce

John Whittington

Sep 6, 2022, 5:36:14 PM9/6/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
At 21:06 06/09/2022, Bruce Weaver wrote:
Hello Dr. Indrayan.  I don't have an ACADEMIA account, so cannot view that pre-print.  But I assume it is the same method that was discussed in this thread: Is that right?

On Friday, September 2, 2022 at 4:38:42 AM UTC-4 aindrayan wrote:
Preprint, for your review.
Academia.edu

Paper Thumbnail
Author Photo  Abhaya Indrayan
2021, Preprint
30Â ViewsÂ
View PDF ▸   Download PDF ⬇

ABSTRACT
Clinical agreement between two quantitative measurements on a group of subjects is generally assessed with the help of the Bland-Altman (B-A) limits. The interpretation regarding agreement is based on whether B-A limits are within the pre-specified clinical tolerance. Thus, clinical tolerance limits are necessary...
Unsubscribe   Privacy Policy   Terms of Service

© 2022 Academia

Dr Abhaya Indrayan,Â
Personal website:Â http://indrayan.weebly.com

To post a new thread to MedStats, send email to MedS...@googlegroups.com .
MedStats' home page is http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats .
Rules: http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats/web/medstats-rules

---

John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   Joh...@mediscience.co.uk
Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

Abhaya Indrayan

Sep 6, 2022, 11:16:19 PM9/6/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much, Bruce, for reminding me about our previous discussions in this group on this method. This now is a much extended and full version of the article that possibly addresses some of the issues raised previously. I should have acknowledged that. It seems my memory is failing me and I take the responsibility.

~Abhaya
--
Dr Abhaya Indrayan
Personal website: http://indrayan.weebly.com

Bruce Weaver

Sep 7, 2022, 4:18:26 PM9/7/22
to MedStats
Thanks John.  Got it.

Bruce Weaver

Sep 7, 2022, 4:19:24 PM9/7/22
to MedStats
No worries!  😉

John Whittington

Sep 7, 2022, 8:45:23 PM9/7/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
Abhaya,

I can't remember whether this is something we discussed previously (iif so, my apologies for resurrecting it!) but ....

.... there would seem to be a conceptual anomaly/inconsistency in the way you present your case in the paper. You start by listing 11 'problems' with the B-A method, and appear to be saying that the 'most severe' of these problems is:
10. The most severe problem with this method is the complete dependence of the interpretation of B-A limits on externally determined clinical tolerance limits. .....
... but you then go on to describe an approach which uses only the 'clinical tolerance limits'.

I'm not completely sure why such is your view, but if you feel that 'the most severe problem' with the B-A approach is it's reliance on 'clinical tolerance limits', it seems a little odd that you should be proposing an approach which only uses those limits.

Kindest Regards,
John

At 04:16 07/09/2022, Abhaya Indrayan wrote:
Thank you very much, Bruce, for reminding me about our previous discussions in this group on this method. This now is a much extended and full version of the article that possibly addresses some of the issues raised previously. I should have acknowledged that. It seems my memory is failing me and I take the responsibility.Â

~Abhaya
--
Dr Abhaya Indrayan

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 1:36 AM Bruce Weaver <bwe...@lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
Hello Dr. Indrayan.  I don't have an ACADEMIA account, so cannot view that pre-print.  But I assume it is the same method that was discussed in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/medstats/c/YR-2uLLacrc/m/4ZfwV4-kBAAJ?hl=en
Is that right?

Cheers,
Bruce

[...]

Abhaya Indrayan

Sep 8, 2022, 11:54:48 AM9/8/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John, for your input. I am trying to say that the Bland-Altman method cannot the used to assess agreement unless we know the clinical tolerance limits. These limits can be directly used without using the B-A method. Such a direct method has several positive features that I have tried to enumerate in this article. I hope this addresses your concern.

Warm regards.

~Abhaya
John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   Joh...@mediscience.co.uk
Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

-

John Whittington

Sep 8, 2022, 10:08:19 PM9/8/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
At 16:54 08/09/2022, Abhaya Indrayan wrote:
Thanks, John, for your input. I am trying to say that the Bland-Altman method cannot the used to assess agreement unless we know the clinical tolerance limits. These limits can be directly used without using the B-A method. Such a direct method has several positive features that I have tried to enumerate in this article. I hope this addresses your concern.

Abhaya, yes, I fully understand what you are saying/proposing in the paper.  I don't really have any 'concerns', as such,but I suppose I was merely drawing your attention the fact that the language used seemed rather strange - i.e. as I said, it seems odd that you should say that the 'most severe problem' with the B-A method is its reliance on something, but then go on to propose a method using that something directly!

However, as above, the nature of your argument is clear enough once one has read the whole paper.

Kindest Regardds,
John

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 6:15 AM John Whittington <Joh...@mediscience.co.uk > wrote:
[...]

Paper Thumbnail  Â
Author Photo   Â Abhaya Indrayan
2021, Preprint
30Â ViewsÂ
View PDF â–¸   Download PDF ⬇

[...]

Rakesh Biswas

Sep 14, 2022, 11:12:47 PM9/14/22
to meds...@googlegroups.com
Wish this thread was a stepping stone to build an understanding around the differences in clinical and statistical significance.

However this was mostly about counting clinical agreement but then "clinical agreement" in who's universe?

best,

rb