Covid-19 Discussions on MedStats

John Whittington

Apr 27, 2021, 10:34:20 PM4/27/21
to meds...@googlegroups.com
Understandably, given the unprecedented times we live in, we are all
being constantly bombarded with what is almost an overwhelming
tsunami of material relating to the Covid-19 pandemic, and this
material is coming to/at us from all directions.

However, the world tries to still go on, and I think it is worth
remembering that MedStats was created, and still exists, primarily as
a platform for discussion of matters relating to 'Medical
Statistics', in the broadest of senses.

I am more guilty than most of having posted messages to the group
relating to Covid-19. Whilst some may disagree, I personally think
that issues relating to Covid-19 data are legitimate (indeed
important) topics for discussion on MedStats - whether in relation to
data collection, analysis, modelling/forecasting or, probably most
important of all, the way in which data is being interpreted and
'acted upon'. I have therefore tried (undoubtedly not always
successfully!) to restrict my posts primarily to those data-related
issues, but I would be happy to stop even that if group members were
tiring of it.

However, given that we are all being deluged with 'general' material
relating to the pandemic from so many directions, and also given that
there are countless other places where any of us can discuss such
topics if we so wish, I would suggest that 'general' messages
relating to the pandemic (i.e. unrelated to data or 'statistics')
probably are not really appropriate to, nor within the intended scope
of, this 'Medical Statistics' discussion group,

I would be very interested to hear the views of MedStats members
about this, either on-list or off-list.

Kind Regards,
John

Dr John Whittington, Voice: +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services Fax: +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford, E-mail: Joh...@mediscience.co.uk
Buckingham MK18 4EL, UK

Abhaya Indrayan

Apr 28, 2021, 2:40:55 AM4/28/21
to meds...@googlegroups.com
I surely welcome this message from John, and it would be nice if this group is restricted to medical statistics issues, including for covid. As he says, we have several other portals to discuss other covid issues.

~Abhaya
--
Dr Abhaya Indrayan
Personal website: http://indrayan.weebly.com

To post a new thread to MedStats, send email to MedS...@googlegroups.com .
MedStats' home page is http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats .
Rules: http://groups.google.com/group/MedStats/web/medstats-rules

---

Bunce, Catey

Apr 30, 2021, 3:08:37 AM4/30/21
to meds...@googlegroups.com

I would agree with this proposal by John.