Dealing with the differences in spatial resolution between occurrences and environmental variables

U.R.

Sep 21, 2022, 5:16:54 AM9/21/22
to Maxent
Hello everyone,

I have occurrence data for a set of species at 500x500 m resolution while my environmental/climatic rasters are at 50x50 m. How could I deal with that difference in resolution?

A colleague told us to generate random points inside every 500x500 m cell, but we don't know exactly how many points we should generate in our case. Anyone knows how to deal with this problem or know any work that talks about it?

Thank you!

Hossam Elalqamy

Sep 21, 2022, 5:28:30 AM9/21/22
to max...@googlegroups.com

You Need to resample your occurrence data down to 50x50 or the other way around resample your environmental data to 500x500 depending on how you desire the resolution of your output model. I prefer the second option since resampling to a coarser resolution seems to keep the original info in the dataset while the first option involves interpolation and calculating values that are not in the original data set. You can do this in ArcGIS using spatial analyst function and don’t forget to snap your raster to the others so that you keep the same number of columns and rows of all of your rasters and avoid error messages in Maxent

Regards