Ware and home (Hardwick), 10/5

9 views
Skip to first unread message

Wendy Howes

unread,
Oct 6, 2026, 4:39:14 PM (4 days ago) Oct 6
to masslep
On the rail trail in Ware on 10/5 we saw 1 Clouded Sulphur, one Eastern Comma, and one Monarch.

Here at home I have been raising Spicebush Swallowtails that I rescued from some roadside sassafras before the town mowed the edges. Two are bright orange and on the verge of pupating, while two more are final instars and still green. I had to cut what I hope is my last bouquet of fresh sassafras leaves for these lingerers.

I have around six chrysalids (lost count) that formed many weeks ago. One adult emerged from one of the older chrysalids in September because it was in a temperate spot and didn't experience cold nights. That was my fault. Now all chrysalids and chrysalid wannabes are in an outdoor enclosure and will overwinter there.

Wendy Howes & Alan Rawle
Hardwick
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages