Berkshire Butterflies 7/21 and 7/22

Dolores Price

Jul 23, 2024, 7:45:45 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to MassLep
Elise and Karl Barry joined Marvin St.Onge and I on Sunday and Monday for a butterfly adventure at October Mountain and George L. Darey Housatonic Valley Wildlife Management Area. Elise and I wanted to see mustard whites again, since we had not been to the WMA since the days of the Butterfly Institutes held at Broadmeadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary.  We were not disappointed and both Karl and Marvin got their first in a lifetime look.

Darey Housatonic WMA in Lenox 7/22
Mustard white 9
Clouded sulphur 1
American copper 1
Eastern tailed-blue 1
Pearl crescent 10
Red admiral 1
Viceroy 1
Common ringlet 1
Common wood-nymph 6

October Mt 7/21
Eastern tiger swallowtail 1
Cabbage white 5
Clouded sulphur 2
Orange sulphur 2
American copper 8
Eastern tailed-blue 2
Summer azure 2
Great spangled fritillary 6
Pearl crescent 59
Red-spotted purple 2
Northern pearly-eye 6
Appalachian brown
Common wood-nymph 3
Monarch 2
Wild indigo duskywing 13
Peck's skipper 11
Northern broken-dash 3
Delaware skipper 2
Mullbery wing 19
Broad-winged skipper 1
Dun skipper 39

Marvin and I then went to a couple of other spots in Lenox on 7/22
Black swallowtail 1
Eastern Tiger swallowtail 1
Cabbage white 2
Eastern tailed-blue 1