2026-10-01 Food Project Fields, Lincoln MA

17 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter Loshin

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 5:08:17 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to MassLep
Following Linda Graetz's report of Variegated Fritillary and Common Checkered Skipper at the Food Project Fields in Lincoln, I stopped by last Friday (as did Alan Ankers). We saw a Variegated Fritillary, as well as some others.

When I saw the sun peeking through this afternoon, I decided to go back and see if I could see a fritillary or maybe even a Common Checkered Skipper.

I spent 1.5 hours there, from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Conditions were calm, mostly cloudy and low 70s. There were still many many Cabbage White, Clouded and Orange Sulphur. In all, I saw:

5+ Variegated Fritillary
1 Bronze Copper
2 Eastern Tailed-blue
1 Monarch
40+ Orange Sulphur
40+ Clouded Sulphur
40+ Cabbage White

I saw the first Variegated Fritillary within five minutes of my arrival, nectaring on some clover near the edge of a field. I took some pictures until it flew off and I saw a second individual flying nearby, then spotted the Bronze Copper. 

I stayed in the same two fields the entire time and managed to get quite a few photos. Between color and size variations and visible wing damage, I'm pretty sure there were at the very least 5-6 individuals, but could have been as many as 10 in all. 

Lisa and I plan to go back on Saturday, if anyone wants to join us let me know (not sure of when we'll be going).

Peter Loshin

Peter Loshin

unread,
Oct 1, 2026, 5:10:57 PM (8 days ago) Oct 1
to MassLep
Sorry, I posted before attaching a photo.D2600770.jpg
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages