Richard Johnston mystery

Clayton Mann

May 31, 2006, 1:31:28 AM5/31/06
to Mann Family of Wake, Chatham and Northampton Counties, NC, sgw...@yahoo.com
I need help determining who all these Johnstons are on this census page.  This must be Richard Johnston, brother of Charles Johnston, who is 80 years of age.  Charles is also listed in this census and he is also 80.  It is known that they were born in the very early 1780s.  Richard's wife, Patience Mann, died before him.  If he remarried, I am not aware of it.  However, I'm also pretty certain he did not have a daughter named Winney, though it is possible.  Is Winney his 2nd wife and are the younger folks in the household his children by her?

Also, who is the David/Daniel Johnston listed above him?  I would think a son, but I have never seen where Richard had more than one son and he was James Johnston who married Jane Rollins (parents of Henry).  The 1830 census only shows one son for Richard and he is the right age to be James.  Brother Charles Johnston had a son named Daniel and John, their half-brother, had a son named Daniel, but this David/Daniel in 1850 beside Richard is neither of those.  I do know that the Martha F. Johnston in this household is the Martha Johnston that married John O'Connell.  Their daughter Mattie Irene O'Connell was the 2nd wife of Lindsay Sanders Mann.  And that Martha had sister named Siny who married a Boon.

Another aspect that adds to the mystery is many of these Johnstons do not show up in later censuses, at least not that I can find.  David/Daniel apparently died, but of the rest, several do not show up in 1860, and most are missing by 1870.

Can anyone shed any light on these people?  Did Richard Johnston leave any estate papers?

P.S.  Martha F. Johnston/Johnson had the following siblings that I am aware of:

 1. Nancy A. Johnston
 2. Mary A. Johnston
 3. Emily Johnston
 4. James C. Johnston
 5. Sarah B. Johnston
 6. Siny M. Johnston
 7. Gaston B. Johnston
 8. Oliver A. Johnston
 9. Jackson Johnston
10. Thomas Johnston
11. Elizabeth Johnston
12. Rosetta Johnston
JohnstonRichard-ChathamNC1850.gif

clayto...@gmail.com

May 31, 2006, 11:14:47 PM5/31/06
to Mann Family of Wake, Chatham and Northampton Counties, NC
a bit more information and a correction or two:

Martha's middle name was Fluanna. She died in 1916. Sina/Siny Boon
was her aunt, not her sister. Sina was born in 1815. She is buried at
PLEASANT HILL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
(http://apdew.com/cemetery/chat/cj47-1.htm). Martha's mother was Sarah
C. "Sally" Harmon. She was born in 1813 or 1814. Sina Boon, Sally's
sister, was also a Harmon. Sally apparently died in 1863 in Chatham
County.

Clayton