neuse river greenway

jeff

Nov 25, 2012, 8:48:56 AM11/25/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com
Construction continues on various parts of the 28 mile Neuse River Greenway.  When the construction folks aren't working, it's playtime for explorers young and old.   A five mile section of the Neuse River Greenway between US 401 and Abington Lane although not officially open is seeing plenty of travelers.   I'm referencing Abington Lane as a trailhead, but official sources reference Skycrest Drive which I'm not familiar with.  From Abington/Skycrest to Anderson Point, the old gravel trail has been blacktopped so if you're willing to cross the bridge-in-progress, you can add an additional 3.5 miles or so to the journey.

A few photos here:

jeff

Dec 31, 2012, 5:27:19 PM12/31/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com
Bridge across the Neuse is now easily traveled at least when the construction crews aren't around.  May want to keep a tight hold on little ones as hand/side rails are not yet installed.   There's 9 miles of uninterrupted travel atop blacktop greenway from I401 to Anderson Pt.  This entire section will likely officially open sometime in January.  It'll be much later in 2013 before this section is linked up to the  6.5 mile Upper Neuse section.  Downstream connection at Anderson Pt  probably awaits a  bridge over Crabtree Creek.

I added a few photos to the ones I took in November: