100 mile races

Doug

Sep 26, 2012, 7:50:28 PM9/26/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com
So anyone run either the Mohican 100 or the Black Hills 100? Any advice or details about them?

Russell Worth Parker

Sep 27, 2012, 9:24:34 AM9/27/12
to djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
On that note, I registered for the Graveyard 100 on the OBX yesterday. Does anyone have any info or training plans?

S Hook

Sep 27, 2012, 9:37:44 AM9/27/12
to ltrp...@aol.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
That makes two of us, but I do not have a training plan set yet.

Shannon
Sent from my iPhone

Eileen Farley

Sep 27, 2012, 9:49:30 AM9/27/12
to sh....@gmail.com, ltrp...@aol.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
JFK 50 miler website has some great links for training plans, w/ weight training, etc...

Sent from my iPhone

Brandon Wilson

Sep 27, 2012, 9:56:47 AM9/27/12
to sh....@gmail.com, ltrp...@aol.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
Run in the cold and dark as much as you can, especially on very windy days, ideally on an isolated stretch of asphalt that's perfectly straight for 25-miles or so with no perceivable elevation gain or loss.

It would be even better if there was a light at the end you could see nearly the entire time to run towards for hours but seemingly never get there, in a perfect world do that on legs you've already got 100k on or so, that would be good GY100 training.

Thanks for signing up, good luck with your training, see you in March if not at Hinson this weekend.

Brandon

Charles West

Sep 27, 2012, 11:12:41 AM9/27/12
to bra...@graveyard100.com, sh....@gmail.com, ltrp...@aol.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
I can personally vouch for the fact that Brandon is not exaggerating at all.

Except for one small thing... a flat road looks like it's all uphill after 100k on it.

- Munchabunch

tbon...@aol.com

Sep 27, 2012, 10:55:30 PM9/27/12
to jet_...@yahoo.com, bra...@graveyard100.com, sh....@gmail.com, ltrp...@aol.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
 re Graveyard
1)  It's all on asphalt. Be prepared for a 100 miles of pounding on joints and back.  Not the best race for minimist shoes, running sandels, barefott running etc
2)  The wind plays a major factor.  You will get no break from it the whole 100 miles.  I recommend having/wearing a light/ultralight wind proof jacket.  You will appreciate it particularly on the bridge crossing (about 2.5 miles around the 50 mile mark).  Wind chill plays a factor when the sun is down.
3)  The wind drives a lot of sand, especially at the start, just getting on to Hatteras Island (50-60 miles) and the last 10 or so miles before the finish.  Sand gets into your shoes etc and the grit caused issues for me and the folks I ran with last year.  I didn't wear gaiters last year but I will this year.
4)  The course is point to point.  Weather conditions may vary along the course.  Aid station and volunteers are awesome but realize there are only four  full up aid stations so you need to appropriately plan your nutritional needs.  You wiil go 3-6 hours between aid stations.  Water/heed stations are about 6 miles apart.
5)  Last year aid station 3 was indoors (Rodanthe Community Center?).  It was already dark and temperature was dropping rapidly by the time I got there but it povided a good place to transition to night clothing/gear.

Tom

Russell Worth Parker

Oct 1, 2012, 9:29:38 AM10/1/12
to tbon...@aol.com, jet_...@yahoo.com, bra...@graveyard100.com, sh....@gmail.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Many thanks. I did 20 slow asphalt miles yesterday, I am in Wilmington, NC, so flat is easy to find. I am training for JFK during the week, and starting my GY100 training on weekends (hoping hills during the week helps on the first section of JFK and the weekend flat, blacktop miles will cover the C&O towpath.

Has anyone got advice on packs to carry (or whether to do so?). I've done large camelbaks, simple water belts, and a 40 oz camelbak that rode in the small of the back and made for a miserable time on previous ultras. I believe from the race website and your description of the availabilty of aid stations, I will need to carry at least some subsistence gear. Thoughts?

Worth

Charles West

Oct 2, 2012, 4:55:07 AM10/2/12
to ltrp...@aol.com, tbon...@aol.com, bra...@graveyard100.com, sh....@gmail.com, djand...@yahoo.com, mang...@googlegroups.com
If you're going uncrewed it's definitely a large hydration pack kind of race. If crewed, you're still probably better off using one, especially in the later stages of the race.

It's four aid stations with fluids in between, so it's best to think of this as four marathons with only 2 or 3 water stops during each race. Then, each "finish line" has food and fluids.

Oct 18, 2012, 2:05:19 AM10/18/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com
So I was thinking of going a 50 mile race about 3 months before a 100 miler? is this wise?