Goldsboro

jeff

Feb 2, 2013, 9:21:11 PM2/2/13
to mang...@googlegroups.com
For the third straight year I missed out on the Uwharrie mountain races. My registering speed is even slower than my ever diminishing running speed. And if you’re not quick to register, you get shut out of popular limited fields like Uwharrie.
Instead, I did the Goldsboro Heart & Sole Half Marathon. I’d never been to Goldsboro. Still haven’t. The race is held about 10 miles east of Goldsboro in the Village of Walnut Creek. 100% road race. A big sign around the two mile mark read, “If your legs are killing you, it’s because you’re kicking ass-phalt.” Last time I ran a road course half marathon was three years ago up in Lincroft, NJ. That’s the E. Murray Todd half; the 37th running of which will go off next month. Also next month on St Paddy’s Day will be the 50th running of the Caesar Rodney half in Wilmington, DE. Those two races are probably my all time favorite road half marathons. Both courses are very scenic. Actually, Caesar Rodney not so much since the course was changed. You’d think for the 50th a permit could be obtained for the original course. Alas, not.
The Goldsboro Heart & Sole Half Marathon course is equally as scenic as it winds its way thru some very picturesque territory. The 167 runners who finished passed by two lakes, a golf course, and many beautiful homes. We did spend some miles running on more open highways, but within the village the lanes we traveled seemed more like tree-lined greenways. Very pleasant passage. There were water/carb stops every two or three miles. I had the novelty of breaking thru an ice layer to get to the water in my cup at the second fuel stop. Twenty three degrees at the start. At the finish we were handed pizza, sandwiches, krispy kreme donuts, finisher medals and long sleeve cotton tee shirts.
I still like the Uwharrie races, but for 40 bucks (45, late entry), the Goldsboro Half will definitely be in the running for my like next year.