MacNair Farms 5/10k

jeff

Sep 14, 2012, 9:36:55 PM9/14/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com
These races were held the last Saturday in August on a 290 acre horse farm.   Weather was unusually cool.  The Athens Drive High School  running teams benefited from the race proceeds.  This first time race took place not far from the school just south of Lake Johnson in Raleigh.

The course was an entertaining mix of open fields, forested single tracks, shady lanes, and perhaps about 3 tenths of a mile of asphalt.   A few hills and slopes as well as a couple stream crossings challenged us.   We passed by barns, machinery, fences,  ponds, and even a few wistful horses.

Sadly, the owner of MaNair's, Caroline MacNair Carl, passed away in July.  She was remembered at the race.  Hopefully, the race will be back next year.  For a first time event there seemed to be just a couple minor glitches:  15 minute delay in the start, a course marshal not directing racers at a critical turn.  Those were mere blemishes on a wonderful day for racing on a wonderful course.

Consider looking for the return of this race next year and getting in on the fun.

*******

And now on a different subject, if you haven't encountered the Kip Litton story, a lengthy read beckons . . .

Mike Walsh

Sep 18, 2012, 2:47:57 PM9/18/12
to mang...@googlegroups.com

I did the measurement on that (not possible to certify it) and having seen the course hated that I was out of town on race date.  That course had everything!  Next year they’ll have the wrinkles out.  Thanks for the review Jeff!

Regards,

Mike

Mike Walsh

(Please note this email was composed using Word as the editor)