FW: [ale] MythTV and Schedules Direct

Watson, Keith

Sep 23, 2014, 11:51:58 AM9/23/14
to much...@googlegroups.com
I got this from another email list.

keith

--

Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support Professional Lead College of Computing
keith....@cc.gatech.edu 801 Atlantic Drive NW
(404) 385-7401 Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

H P Ladds

Sep 23, 2014, 1:28:25 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
Wow! I believe this is the first post in five years. You deserve the prize! Cheers!

Warren Merkel

Sep 23, 2014, 1:44:31 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
Haha.  Not many of us left.  I have bailed out on MythTV for now as Comca$t now scrambles all locals so I haven't got a feed until I can put up an external antenna and retrain my HD home runs.

Watson, Keith

Sep 23, 2014, 2:15:33 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
The HD HomeRun Prime can use a cable card that will decrypt the Comcast channels.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

keith

--

Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support Professional Lead College of Computing
keith....@cc.gatech.edu 801 Atlantic Drive NW
(404) 385-7401 Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

H P Ladds

Sep 23, 2014, 2:36:36 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Watson, Keith <krwa...@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
The HD HomeRun Prime can use a cable card that will decrypt the Comcast channels.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

Holy crap! I haven't used Myth in years! But that is Big news to me. Everyone said the Cable Card was going to be the death of MythTV!

Watson, Keith

Sep 23, 2014, 2:38:44 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
I'm still using Myth but I use OTA with an antenna in my attic. I'm working on a Raspberry Pi front end. Once I get that done I'm going to work on a Raspberry Pi Myth backend.

keith

--

Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support Professional Lead College of Computing
keith....@cc.gatech.edu 801 Atlantic Drive NW
(404) 385-7401 Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

Warren Merkel

Sep 23, 2014, 2:44:53 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
Of course!  However I've got three original  HDHR units and don't want to get another one without liquidating the old ones plus you don't get the cable cards without adding yet another monthly cost for something we used to get in the clear for free :). I'm gonna try over-the-air first.  I believe the HDHRs will do that too.

Watson, Keith

Sep 23, 2014, 3:12:23 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
I'm doing OTA now. Have you chosen an antenna?

keith

--

Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support Professional Lead College of Computing
keith....@cc.gatech.edu 801 Atlantic Drive NW
(404) 385-7401 Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

Ed Rauch

Sep 23, 2014, 5:00:28 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
I was shocked too to get a MythTV email! Seems like been forever - yes I too lost interest when Charter pulled the rug - right now in my home $35+ a month just for boxes (or cards I guess?) for access that used to be no additional charge. I hate it - just ticks me off. Anyway my service with charter is so bad (pixelation) especially in evening hours (when all the neighbors are home sapping signal) I have started down the antenna path - maybe for the attic? And distribution / amplification to more than 1 tv ... That being said do you have some suggestions? Thanks for the post!

Regards,

EdR
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Warren Merkel

Sep 23, 2014, 10:57:48 PM9/23/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
Well, I purchased this antenna from solidsignal.com a few months ago

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=MS2002
Winegard MS2002 Metrostar VHF/UHF Amplified Omnidirectional HDTV Antenna
(MS-2002)

but haven't had a chance to put it up and see what I can get. I just
moved to a different house and thought it might be less obtrusive than a
standard yagi or corner reflector. Given it's a compromise antenna, I'm
not sure how it will turn out, depending on how high I can get it
mounted. I'll update the list when I do, but it might be a while.

I am up near the southern edge of Cherokee County so I'm about 38 miles
downrange from the transmitter sites. Not exactly metro.

If it isn't satisfactory, I'll try something with more gain. I haven't
looked at the local channel charts in a while, so I'm not sure if we can
get away with just a UHF antenna or not in the Atlanta area. Seems like
one of those networks is on VHF. I'll research that before getting
another antenna. I'm primarily interested in the "big 4" networks at
this point, but having P'treeTV might be good for the extra sports
coverage they have sometimes. Be aware that some of these antennas only
cover UHF.

Don't forget that you can still use that good old big ugly VHF-UHF yagi
lying around from the 80's. It is still just as good for digital
signals as the old analog stations.

Be sure to join the "Daily Deal" list on the solidsignal site. They put
a good selection of antennas on sale in rotation, one-a-day, so just
wait out the deal if you find something you want. They have lots of
yagi style and stacked corner reflector models to choose from.

I've ordered a few things from them and they arrived very quickly.

On 9/23/2014 5:00 PM, Ed Rauch wrote:
> I was shocked too to get a MythTV email! Seems like been forever - yes I
> too lost interest when Charter pulled the rug - right now in my home
> $35+ a month just for boxes (or cards I guess?) for access that used to
> be no additional charge. I hate it - just ticks me off. Anyway my
> service with charter is so bad (pixelation) especially in evening hours
> (when all the neighbors are home sapping signal) I have started down the
> antenna path - maybe for the attic? And distribution / amplification to
> more than 1 tv ... That being said do you have some suggestions? Thanks
> for the post!
>
> Regards,
>
> EdR
>
> On Tuesday, September 23, 2014, Watson, Keith <krwa...@cc.gatech.edu
> <mailto:krwa...@cc.gatech.edu>> wrote:
>
> I'm doing OTA now. Have you chosen an antenna?
>
> keith
>
> --
>
> Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
> IT Support Professional Lead College of Computing
> keith....@cc.gatech.edu <javascript:;> 801 Atlantic
> Drive NW
> (404) 385-7401 Atlanta, GA 30332-0280

Watson, Keith

Sep 25, 2014, 7:14:55 AM9/25/14
to MUCH...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm working on a post about how I'm setup for OTA. I'm just swamped at the moment.

keith