VIA intros $49 Android-based PC, launching in July

Watson, Keith

May 25, 2012, 8:59:01 AM5/25/12
to much...@googlegroups.com
The one thing the Raspberry Pi has going for it is composite video out. This allows it to be used to display HD content on all those legacy TVs still floating around.

The problem is that everyone else is coming out with comparable hardware that is actually shipping.

VIA intros $49 Android-based PC, launching in July
http://www.techspot.com/news/48699-via-intros-49-android-based-pc-launching-in-july.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bwcy46k

keith

--

Keith R. Watson Georgia Institute of Technology
IT Support professional Lead College of Computing

bur...@earthlink.net

May 25, 2012, 9:13:23 AM5/25/12
to much...@googlegroups.com
Component Outputs?

I am a HUGE fan of having lots of video-out connectors, and in fact when I go shopping for just about any equipment, or when I am making recommendations to any of my tech-suppoprt clients for monitors or other equipment, we have that discussion about vidoe connectors, and how 'more is better' and usually means long-term value in equipment.

I use a legacy big screen projection TV and the only HD inputs I can use to get either 1080 or 720 HD are the component inputs. Finding video streamers that have component-out has been an ongoing challenge; there are a bunch, but you definitely have to do the research to find them.

It is unfortunate that manufacturers are leaving component-out connectors off of equipment - they are apparently doing it at the behest of the media behemoths, mostly because DRM cannot be enforced using component-out as it can using HDMI or DVI.

And thereis not much we as consumers can do about it, except continue to support and buy product from manufacturers who DO include those features.

I have a streamer from Netgear, from Iomega, and from Sony that supports compoent-out, as well as several video and tuner cards in various computers.

d.b