MOO Language Server Protocol

Ryan Smith

May 12, 2021, 10:48:31 PM5/12/21
to MOO-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

One of the biggest gripes with MOO is the lack of modern tooling. I am a huge fan of VS Code and IntelliJ, but we're stuck with using VMoo and RMoo, which are good for what they are, but are no IDE.

It'd be amazing to have features like:
  • Auto-complete (especially on corified objects)
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Syntax checking
  • GoTo definition -- clicking on a call to $corifiedObject:verb() opens the code up in a new tab
  • Debugging capability, perhaps by bringing modernizing MOO Source-Level Debugger
  • Some checkstyle / linting features

Microsoft has come up with Language Service Protocol (LSP), which would in theory let a MOO LSP server work with VS Code, emacs, vim, etc.

I'm over-allocated to some other things at the moment, but I'm wondering:
* what kind of interest exists for this?
* if you were to build something like this, how would you approach it? Auto-complete can be difficult unless the LSP server becomes aware of updates happening on the MOO, and certainly debugging too.

Thanks,

Ryan

Just Johnny

May 13, 2021, 12:34:48 AM5/13/21
to MOO Talk
We (on Sindome) made a set of methods back in the 2000s for something we called 'MOOdel' that was all around supporting a java based client. It's since been abandoned and we continued on with MOO based development with our Webclient that supports an Atom.js based popup verb editor, but I haven't advanced that with a object/verb browser like I'd like to, just a matter of time and focus. I'd probably turn back to that after we migrate to Toast-Stunt.

~ Johnny

WiredWizard(Dakkon)

Feb 29, 2024, 10:19:14 AMFeb 29
to MOO Talk
Not sure if this is still relevant years later, but I have built a windows moo client/IDE.  It's still in beta and I don't have as much time to work on it as I would like, but it has working syntax highlighting, syntax parsing, error display, limited autocomplete, code folding, code indent highlighting and some other features.  You can customize the colors and many other features via the client configuration file.