NOTICE: Mobokits.stormwarning.org to be permanently shut down 3 September.

windigofer

Aug 31, 2019, 11:38:24 PM8/31/19
to MOBOKITS

Hello,

I've kept the old Mobokits and Widgets website up for quite some time (since Google Groups pretty much yanked the old file archives), but after close to a decade I'm going to be finally closing up shop:

a) The Widget kit has not been available for quite some time.
b) Neither the SR63 nor the SR63ng have been available for quite some time (W9AMR may no longer be offering it, and was the last known source).
c) This mailinglist in and of itself hasn't been active since 2018 (not even for purposes of a proposed move to groups.io, which is actually a bit surprising).
d) Honestly, the SDR hobby has moved on rather some since the original Mobo/Widget/SR63(ng) combo was available, and there are better SDR multiband kits and products out there.
e) The site is on a rather old version of Drupal, and honestly some of the security tools I have used to keep the site functional require major tweaking to run on newer versions.
f) Honestly, my own interest at this point has gone to other amateur radio projects (particularly the uBITX).

So, I've made the decision to go ahead and sunset mobokits.stormwarning.org--I'm keeping the site open for another 72 hours for folks to get what they might want, and then I'll close it down.  (It will be available via the Internet Archive at archive.org and through other archiver services such as archive.is, but I will no longer be hosting after 3 September 2019.)

So long and thanks for all the fun over the years,

-KI4QGJ

N2AIE

Sep 1, 2019, 10:19:21 AM9/1/19
to MOBOKITS
Sorry to hear I still have the filter kits still unbuilt waiting for me to getting a round tuit..
Loved the project. Mine ended up in the Netherlands!
Thank you for maintaining g this group for the duration
Can it just hover out there without closing it? Or switching moderators?
I might be willing
Thanks
DE
N2AIE
Vince

f6itu

Sep 1, 2019, 11:25:59 AM9/1/19
to MOBOKITS
Hi
Be thanked for your efforts and patience.
Alex, George, Loftür, yourself and many others gave to the ham community  an incredible gift : the ability to understand SDRs without spending a lot.

There's been a lot of water over the dam since december 2008 when the first Mobo was born. New projects like KF7O 's Hermes Lite V2 or differents versions of the original N2ADR HiQSDR bring us  DDC/DUC technology, giving QSD/QSE rigs a long kiss goodbye :- ))

Thanks again for maintaining the list and the server during more than a decade. I wouldn't expect such a longevity

Kindly yours and VY 73' de
Marc f6itu

(ps : I gave my 3 Mobo, including 2 running "beta" versions of the board to a radioclub approximately 8 months ago... they are still operational)

David Jones - KB9GPM

Sep 1, 2019, 12:48:52 PM9/1/19
to MOBOKITS
Thanks for keeping it up this long and giving us a heads up.  I still have mine :)  Sounds like to to take one last look at the site as it is.  Glad you mentioned archive.org.  People seem to forget about that site.

David
   KB9GPM

AC0OP

Sep 3, 2019, 10:35:20 AM9/3/19
to MOBOKITS
Thank you for all you have done to keep this alive as long as you have.  I learned a lot and had a lot of fun with the SR63 and my Mobo / Widget.  You are probably right that SDR has moved on, but the SR family of devices made a significant contribution to the hobby, and your site was a big part of that.  Good luck with future endeavors.

73,

Eric
AC0OP