Brains, Minds and Machines Summer Course 2022 [APPLICATION DEADLINE = APR-11-2022]

Gabriel Kreiman

Feb 16, 2022, 8:57:23 PM2/16/22
to ml-...@googlegroups.com

Please circulate the course information among labs/departments/students that might be interested. Thank you!

Brains, Minds and Machines Summer Course 2022

Advanced Research Training Courses at MBL Woods Hole, MA
Directors: Gabriel KreimanBoris Katz; Tomaso Poggio
Location: Marine Biological Laboratory, in Woods Hole, MA.
Course Dates: August 4 – August 25, 2022
Application deadline: April 11, 2022

Application: Please visit the MBL website to access the application portal: https://www.mbl.edu/education/courses/brains-minds-and-machines/

More information: https://cbmm.mit.edu/summer-school/2022

The basis of intelligence – how the brain produces intelligent behavior and how we may be able to replicate intelligence in machines – is arguably the greatest problem in science and technology. To solve it, we will need to understand how human intelligence emerges from computations in neural circuits, with rigor sufficient to reproduce similar intelligent behavior in machines. Success in this endeavor ultimately will enable us to understand ourselves better, to produce smarter machines, and perhaps even to make ourselves smarter. Today’s AI technologies, such as Watson and Siri, are impressive, but their domain specificity and reliance on vast numbers of labeled examples are obvious limitations; few view this as brain-like or human intelligence. The synergistic combination of cognitive science, neurobiology, engineering, mathematics, and computer science holds the promise to build much more robust and sophisticated algorithms implemented in intelligent machines. The goal of this course is to help produce a community of leaders that is equally knowledgeable in neuroscience, cognitive science, and computer science and will lead the development of true biologically inspired AI.

--
Gabriel Kreiman
Professor

Check out our new book: "Biological and Computer Vision"