Survey Study on Sign Language Computation using Machine Learning

Hal Daume

Aug 17, 2022, 2:23:04 PM8/17/22
to ml-...@googlegroups.com

Hello! We are a team of researchers from MSR New England and New York. We are seeking participants (aged 18 or older) who have experience in machine learning or are interested in applying machine learning to developing computational models for signed languages for a survey study.

The purpose of this project is to explore how machine learning practitioners can better build machine learning models for sign language computation (e.g., recognition/translation). We want to understand your general motivations in working with machine learning problems and expected challenges when newly working with sign language data and tasks. Please know that sign language knowledge or sign language computation experience is NOT required to participate in this project.

The survey can be found at https://forms.office.com/r/7LPnkdTFLN along with a consent form for further details. For every submission of the survey, $10 will be donated to LEAD-K (Language Equity and Acquisition for Deaf Kids), up to the first 50 submissions. The survey receives one submission per person.

Once you agree to consent, you will be directed to the survey questions. It will take about 30 minutes to answer the questions, including your experience in machine learning and sign language computation (if any), understanding of sign language culture, and demographics such as your age or education level.

Your responses will be anonymous, unless you choose to provide your name and email address for future contact where you will be invited to participate in a paid study to collaborate with American Sign Language experts. Your name and email address will never be shared outside of the research team.

Please complete the survey by Tuesday, 8/23 and feel free to forward this to other colleagues who may be interested!

Thank you so much for your consideration!

Rie Kamikubo, Danielle Bragg, Alex Lu, Hal Daumé III