Community Library

tueminh

May 2, 2011, 6:27:32 PM5/2/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
[This thread is devoted to updates to our community library]

New Arrival: Without Buddha I Could Not Be A Christian [Paperback].
Paul F. Knitter (Author)

Editorial Reviews:

"Radiates wisdom and warmth. Is it possible to become more fully
Christian by taking most seriously the Buddhist path -- becoming
Buddhist in order to live more fully the Christian life? Agree or not
with Paul's answer, we can be most grateful to him for pressing the
question and making so very clear the possibilities and risks along
the way." --Francis X. Clooney, Professor of Divinity and Professor of
Comparative Theology, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

"Knitter's rich book should be a source of fascination and guidance
for seekers of all sorts. One of the finest contemporary books on the
encounter between religions in the heart and soul of a single
thoughtful person." --Library Journal, October 1, 2009

"A compelling example of religious inquiry." --New York Times, October
10, 2009

tueminh

May 7, 2011, 12:51:09 AM5/7/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: For the Benefit of All Beings: A Commentary on the Way of
the Bodhisattva (Shambhala Classics) [Paperback]. Dalai Lama (Author),
Padmakara Translation Group (Translator).

The fourteenth Dalai Lama, a living embodiment of the bodhisattva
ideal, presents here detailed practical guidance based on sections of
The Way of the Bodhisattva by Shantideva, the best-known text of
Mahayana Buddhism. The Dalai Lama explains this classic and beloved
work, showing how anyone can develop a truly "good heart" and the
aspiration for the enlightenment of all beings. In this book, the
Dalai Lama's profound knowledge is evident—the result of extensive
training. Here he shares his extraordinary insight into the human
condition and what it means to be a responsible and caring person.
This book was previously published under the title A Flash of
Lightning in the Dark of Night.

tueminh

May 7, 2011, 12:52:00 AM5/7/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: The Buddha Smiles: a Collection of Dharmatoons. Mari
Gayatri Stein (Author), Sylvia Bornstein (Contributor), Sharon
Salzberg (Contributor), Joseph Goldstein (Contributor).

The Buddha Smiles is a delightful gathering of Mari Gayatri Stein’s
cartoons, or dharmatoons. The book follows a group of human and non-
humans as they seek their enlightenment, exposing their strengths and
weaknesses (and ours as well) in the process. The Buddha Smiles gently
teaches the nature of Buddhist thought through cartoons on the Four
Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, and the nature of the Hindrances
along the path. First full-length book of Buddhist cartoons.

tueminh

May 17, 2011, 1:10:38 AM5/17/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: For the Benefit of Many: Talks and Answers to Questions
from Vipassana Students [Paperback]

New Arrival: Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness
(Shambhala Classics) [Paperback], Sharon Salzberg (Author)

Amazon.com Review
Sharon Salzberg, a meditation teacher and the founder of the Insight
Meditation Society in Massachusetts, focuses on a kind of Buddhist
practice that emphasizes feelings of love, happiness, and compassion.
Metta, or "lovingkindness," meditation involves four phrases: "May I
be free from danger"; "May I have mental happiness"; "May I have
physical happiness"; "May I have ease of well-being." (Some readers
will find this surprising, since the most commonly known meditation
techniques have little "content"--you simply repeat a single word or
phrase, observe your breath, or observe your thoughts as they pass
through your mind.) Other exercises in this book are intended to
increase your connection to and intimacy with others, by directing
these positive sentiments outward toward specific people or the world
in general. This book will probably be best appreciated by those who
have some experience with meditation already, but anyone can
appreciate the way it takes a practice often considered mystical and
turns it into a means of creating joy. --Ben Kallen --

tueminh

Jun 6, 2011, 1:07:50 PM6/6/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Living Yogacara, Tagawa Shun'ei, Charles Muller

While Yogacara Buddhism did not endure on a major scale as a distinct
tradition in India, Tibet, and East Asia, its teachings on the nature
of consciousness made a profound impact on the forms of Buddhism that
developed in those regions, and served as the basis for the
development of the doctrines of karma and liberation in many other
schools. Part of the reason for Yogacara's failure to achieve enduring
popularity is no doubt the perception that its complex system of
viewpoints, paths, and categories is difficult to grasp.

Here, Tagawa Shun'ei makes sense of its seeming unwieldiness. He shows
what the Yogacara masters are talking about are, in many cases,
everyday experiences shared by all, and that the structures of
consciousness that they articulated are things we all take for granted
but for which we have no real explanation. Eloquent and approachable,
Living Yogacara deepens the reader's understanding of the development
of Buddhism's interpretation of the human psyche.

tueminh

Jun 6, 2011, 1:08:35 PM6/6/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Meditation on the Nature of the Mind, Dalai Lama

A correct understanding of the mind’s nature not only illuminates the
many treatises on Buddhist philosophy, it is the key to success in
meditation and to the profound insights at the heart of the Buddha’s
path.

The text at the center of this book, the Wish-Fulfilling Jewel of the
Oral Tradition by Khöntön Peljor Lhündrub (1561–1637), manages to
combine both theory and practical instructions for meditating on the
nature of mind in a manner that is easily accessible. Especially
interesting is its nonsectarian approach, with liberal citations from
across the Tibetan Buddhist spectrum.

It is a profound and erudite teaching, both in scope and detail, and
brings the reader closer to a fresh and direct experience of the all-
important topic.

As little has been written in Western languages about Khöntön
Rinpoché, this volume also includes a short biography of this
interesting figure, who was a guru to the Great Fifth Dalai Lama.

tueminh

Jun 10, 2011, 2:51:03 PM6/10/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: The Wisdom of Forgiveness [Paperback], Dalai Lama
(Author), Victor Chan (Author)

"Do you hate the Chinese?" Chan asked the Dalai Lama when they first
met in India in 1972. It was a live question, since Chan hailed from
the country that had forced the Tibetan spiritual leader into exile
and subjugated the Tibetan people. The Dalai Lama replied immediately
with the English word "no," then stated through an interpreter that he
had forgiven the Chinese and did not blame China's people.

Drawing on Buddhist principles, this book loosely discusses His
Holiness's ideas on forgiveness, though Chan presents them gently
through stories, not didactically as a step-by-step how-to manual. For
example, one chapter arises in the context of the Dalai Lama's travels
in war-torn Belfast, where he spoke about forgiveness to the families
of victims of terrorist attacks. To research this book, Chan traveled
with the Dalai Lama off and on for several years, spent time with him
at home and conducted numerous interviews.

Apart from the expected teachings on forgiveness, what comes through
most clearly is the personality of the Dalai Lama himself: his humor,
playfulness and joy. We learn that he had something of a temper as a
young man and that he can't resist pulling men's beards. Somehow, the
book's serious call to forgiveness becomes all the more engaging and
possible because of the Dalai Lama's own lighthearted spirit.

tueminh

Jun 16, 2011, 2:41:42 PM6/16/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Practicing Wisdom, His Holiness the Dalai Lama (Author),
Geshe Thupten Jinpa (Translator)

Like the bestselling "For The Benefit of All Beings" (formerly
published as "A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of the Night"),
Practicing Wisdom focuses on Shantideva's Way of the Bodhisattva.
While the former includes only a brief introduction to Shantideva's
complex and crucial ninth chapter on insight, Practicing Wisdom is a
full and detailed follow-up commentary, making it an invaluable
statement on the fundamental concept behind Buddhist thought and
practice. Shantideva's ninth chapter is revered in Tibetan Buddhist
circles as one of the most authoritative expositions of the Buddha's
core insight, and all other Buddhist practices are means to support
the generation of this wisdom within the practitioner. In Practicing
Wisdom, the Dalai Lama reaffirms his reputation as a great scholar,
communicator, and embodiment of the Buddha's Way by illuminating
Shantideva's verses, drawing on contrasting commentaries from the
Nyingma and Gelug lineages, and leading the reader through the stages
of insight up to the highest view of emptiness. These teachings,
delivered in southern France in 1993, have been masterfully
translated, edited, and annotated by Geshe Thupten Jinpa, the Dalai
Lama's primary translator and founder of the Institute of Tibetan
Classics.

tueminh

Jun 17, 2011, 1:49:00 AM6/17/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: "The Hundred Verses of Advice: Tibetan Buddhist Teachings
on What Matters Most", by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche (Author), Padampa
Sangye (Author), Padmakara Translation Group (Translator)

This commentary on Padampa Sangye's classic verses of advise to
Tibetan villagers of Tingri—by renowned and beloved meditation master
Dilgo Khyentse—offers guidance for people trying to lead a dharmic
life in the workaday world. These hundred verses, studied for
centuries by Tibetans and students of Buddhism, contain a complete
survey of the Tibetan Buddhist path. Dilgo Khyentse's lively
explication of each stanza brings to light subtleties and amplifies
the richness of the words and their pertinence to our lives. These two
venerable teachers advise us in relating to everyday difficulties such
as loneliness, craving, family squabbles, competition in business,
disagreements with neighbors, and betrayal by friends—as challenging
to us as they have been to meditators for centuries.

Review
"A more succinct and beautiful expression of the Buddhist path, or a
more haunting exhortation to practice, you're not likely to find. Keep
this slim volume nearby and read it often."—Shambhala Sun

"A soul-stretching collection of essential teachings on what matters
most in this tradition. . . . For centuries the Tibetans have explored
a path of wisdom that illuminates every corner of life. The material
in this volume opens doors to that spiritual perspective on everyday
life."—Spirituality & Health

"An extraordinary treasure: a moving and deeply transforming teaching
by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, one of the greatest masters of our time."—
Sogyal Rinpoche, author of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

"Were we to take these verses to heart, our relationships would be
transformed, our minds would be at ease, and we would no longer be
afraid of death; our lives would be seamlessly devoted to our own
freedom and to the well-being of others."—Sharon Salzberg, author of
Lovingkindness and Faith

tueminh

Jun 20, 2011, 2:10:32 AM6/20/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: "Stages of Meditation", by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Amazon.com Review

Stages of Meditation is a commentary by the Dalai Lama on a rare text
by ninth-century Indian Buddhist scholar Kamalashila, written in Tibet
to correct some Chinese misinterpretations of Buddhism that were
influential at the time. Kamalashila's short work is not widely known
today, but according to the Dalai Lama, it is a most important text,
and worthy of study by those new to Buddhism, because "on the basis of
this knowledge you will be able to understand other treatises without
great difficulty. This text can be like a key that opens the door to
all other major Buddhist scriptures."

Throughout the book, the Dalai Lama emphasizes the importance of
logical analysis of scriptures, even if they are in the Buddha's own
words; some teachings, he stresses, "should not be taken literally,
but need interpretation." And this is what he does in this clear and
readable commentary, originally given in 1989 and now translated and
published for the first time. Its 10 short chapters are on such
familiar Buddhist themes as Training the Mind, Compassion, Identifying
the Nature of Suffering, and The Practice of Calm Abiding.

tueminh

Jun 25, 2011, 2:21:44 AM6/25/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: The Heart of Compassion: A Practical Approach to a
Meaningful Life, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

In this book the Dalai Lama guides us step by step to an understanding
of our human condition and how we can act to achieve a higher
fulfillment than pure worldly enjoyment.

New Arrival: Mind of Clear Light: Advice on Living Well and Dying
Consciously, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"Everyone dies, but no one is dead," goes the Tibetan saying. It is
with these words that Advice on Dying takes flight. Using a
seventeenth-century poem written by a prominent scholar-practitioner,
His Holiness the Dalai Lama draws from a wide range of traditions and
beliefs to explore the stages we all go through when we die, which are
the very same stages we experience in life when we go to sleep, faint,
or reach orgasm (Shakespeare's "little death").

The stages are described so vividly that we can imagine the process of
traveling deeper into the mind, on the ultimate journey of
transformation. In this way, His Holiness shows us how to prepare for
that time and, in doing so, how to enrich our time on earth, die
without fear or upset, and influence the stage between this life and
the next so that we may gain the best possible incarnation. As always,
the ultimate goal is to advance along the path to enlightenment.
Advice on Dying is an essential tool for attaining that eternal bliss.

tueminh

Jul 3, 2011, 2:54:41 PM7/3/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Transforming the Mind: Teachings on Generating
Compassion, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Amazon.com Review

The mind is central to all human experience. Whether one is in harmony
with the world or not depends upon one's relative emotional and
spiritual health. For this reason, the core teachings of Buddhism have
always emphasized various forms of mind training. In Transforming the
Mind, based on an edited series of his lectures, the Dalai Lama
provides a succinct overview of the basic techniques of spiritual
development in Tibetan Buddhism. He introduces several aspects of mind
training, combining the insights of traditional scholarship with his
personal warmth and humanity.

The book begins with a lucid account of the basic teachings of
Buddhism--the nature of the human predicament and how it can be
overcome. Then two key aspects of mind training involving the
development of altruism and insight are described. This is essential,
since Buddhism teaches that true mental transformation requires a
sense of responsibility for others, together with the attainment of
insight into the dynamic working of the human psyche and the world.
Included in the book is the short traditional text on mental
transformation, which the Dalai Lama used to structure his
illuminating presentation of Buddhist practice. As an added bonus, the
book concludes with a message for the millennium, giving the Dalai
Lama's views on the role of Buddhist-inspired ethics in this newly
dawning era.

tueminh

Jul 10, 2011, 4:56:36 AM7/10/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: The Best Buddhist Writing 2010 (A Shambhala Sun Book)

Here is this year’s installment in the series Publishers Weekly says
“does a great service by highlighting views and themes as they
modulate with each passing year.” The Best Buddhist Writing 2010 is an
eclectic, inspiring collection of writings from the Buddhist
perspective. Selected by the editors of the Shambhala Sun, North
America’s leading Buddhist-inspired magazine, the essays, articles,
and interviews in this anthology offer an entertaining mix of writing
styles and reflect on a wide range of issues.

The Best Buddhist Writing 2010 includes:

• A question and answer session between children and Thich Nhat
Hanh
• Stan Goldberg on becoming a hospice volunteer, shortly after his
own diagnosis of prostate cancer

• Buddhist author and death-row inmate Jarvis Jay Masters on
experiencing a few unexpected hours of freedom

• Jan Chozen Bays on eating mindfully

• Norman Fischer contemplates the death of his best friend

• Meditation instructions from Tibetan teacher Dzongsar Jamyang
Khyentse Rinpoche

• Sylvia Boorstein on the deep human connection that emerges when
we engage with the joy and suffering of others

• Carolyn Rose Gimian on the late Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s advice
to “smile at fear”

• Gaylon Ferguson on recognizing our natural wakefulness

• Pema Chödrön on being open to the opportunities that arise when
we experience pain and discomfort in our lives

• Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche on finding joy in the midst of life’s
difficulties

• Steve Silberman’s account of love, prejudice, Buddhism, and
marriage

• Mary Pipher on moving past despair

• Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche on meditation that directs our thoughts
and intentions in a positive direction

• Jaimal Yogis on his misguided attempt to use Zen to improve his
surfing

• Lauren Fraser on the Zen-inspired cooks who have influenced the
way we cook and eat

• And much more

tueminh

Jul 19, 2011, 1:58:05 PM7/19/11
to MIT Buddhist Community

tueminh

Jul 23, 2011, 2:54:08 AM7/23/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Illuminating the path to enlightenment, by His Holiness
the Dalai Lama

About one thousand years ago, the great Indian pandit and yogi,
Dipamkara Shrijnana (Atisha), was invited to Tibet to re-establish the
Buddhadharma, which had been suppressed and corrupted for almost two
centuries. One of Atisha's main accomplishments in Tibet was his
writing of the seminal text, A Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment, in
which he extracted the essence of all 84,000 teachings of the Buddha
and organized them into a clear, step-like arrangement that makes it
easy for any individual practitioner to understand and practice the
Dharma. This genre of teachings is known as lam-rim, or steps of the
path, and forms an essential part of every school of Tibetan Buddhism.
In this book, His Holiness the Dalai Lama gives a commentary to not
only Atisha's revolutionary work but also to Lines of Experience, a
short text written by Lama Tsong Khapa, who was perhaps the greatest
of all Tibetan lam-rim authors. In bringing together Atisha, Lama
Tsong Khapa and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, this book offers readers
one of the clearest and most authoritative expositions of the Tibetan
Buddhist path ever published, and it is recommended for those at the
beginning of the path, the middle and the end.

tueminh

Jul 29, 2011, 5:12:47 PM7/29/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: The power of compassion: a collection of lectures by His
Holiness Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama describes in a clear and simple style how to live and
die well and how to bring wisdom and compassion into our everyday
lives.

New Arrival: Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and
Happiness, by His Holiness Dalai Lama

Occasionally a book comes along that you want to take outside, shove
into the hand of every passerby, and say, "Read this and be
enlightened." The Dalai Lama's latest collection of lectures is like
that. As you read, you begin to think what a wonderful world it would
be if everybody thought like the Dalai Lama. Though the highest ranked
leader of a world religion, the Dalai Lama insists that some of the
most important aspects of Buddhist practice are nonreligious,
particularly the training of the mind. This he sees as essential to
cultivating basic decency in the day-to-day life of all people. To
understand the motivations of others, to rein in negative emotions, to
examine one's own motivations--these are the steps to living
peacefully and responsibly in the world. On a deeper theoretical
level, the Dalai Lama also introduces the importance of seeing through
reality to the two levels of truth as well as exploring karma and the
nature of existence. Impromptu question-and-answer sessions round out
some of the lectures, giving the listeners a chance to pose their own
questions. Read this and be enlightened. --Brian Bruya --This text
refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

New Arrival: Dalai Lama's Book Of Wisdom, by His Holiness Dalai Lama

The Dalai Lama provides simple advice on the importance of compassion
and forgiveness.

New Arrival: The 14th Dalai Lama: a manga biography, by Tetsu Saiwai

Saiwai, a manga artist known for his treatments of educational topics,
turns his pen to the fourteenth Dalai Lama, whose struggles to free
Tibet from Chinese rule earned him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989. The
gripping story, illuminating the atrocities of the Chinese takeover,
is told from the Dalai Lama’s point of view and makes the holy leader
seem all too human. Saiwai ends his clearly drawn tale with the
beginning of the holy man’s exile in India and ties things together
with an epilogue. There is a bibliography, but a character guide would
have helped to keep the many monks straight in readers’ minds. Though
this story isn’t quite a complete biography—and though manga purists
might object to Penguin’s decision to publish it in a left-to-right
format—it nevertheless makes a nice addition to school and public
library collections. Readers, especially teenagers, will wonder what
they would have done if they had such power and responsibility thrust
upon them at such a young age. Grades 7-12. --Snow Wildsmith
See all Editorial Reviews

tueminh

Jul 31, 2011, 2:21:00 PM7/31/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival: Kindness, Clarity, and Insight, by His Holiness Dalai
Lama

"The Dalai Lama gives a solid overview of Tibetan Buddhism and shows
why he has been heralded around the globe." -- Spirituality & Practice

An early collection of [the Dalai Lama's]...compiled after his first
travels to the United States, remains invaluable. -- Pico Iyer, The
Open Road: The Global Journey of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama

Offering remarkably enduring insights into the wit and wisdom of the
Dalai Lama . . . very strongly recommended. -- in The Bookwatch

This is an accessible text for practitioners who wish to understand
His Holiness's teachings. -- The Middle Way

New Arrival: Zen For Cats: Teachings Of The Zen Cat Masters,

"When the animals arrived to celebrate the Buddha's birthday, the cat
was conspicuously absent. With the appearance of this book, the Zen
Cat has zanily arrived at last."—Maxine Hong Kingston

New Arrival: The Path To Tranquility: Daily Wisdom, by His Holiness
Dalai Lama

Wouldn't it be nice to have a handy collection of highlights from the
Dalai Lama's writings and teachings? Renuka Singh, a student and
friend of the Dalai Lama, brings together a sampling of his words for
each day of the year in The Path to Tranquility. In her selections you
can sense the intimate encouragement of the student-teacher
relationship. The Dalai Lama's words are not distant platitudes or
profound proclamations but rather small insights and patient
exhortations to keep trying. "We can deny everything except that we
have the possibility of being better." "As a spiritual trainee, you
must be prepared to endure the hardships of being involved in a
genuine spiritual pursuit." "Nothing is more important than guarding
the mind." These thoughts are germane to practical cultivation, and
pondering a daily passage is a great way to keep the mind coming back
to its center. Take a page from the Dalai Lama, and set yourself on
the path to tranquility. --Brian Bruya --This text refers to an out of

tueminh

Aug 14, 2011, 3:40:47 PM8/14/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
Thanks to a generous donation from Mauricio, our library has expanded
considerably. New arrivals:

A History of God, Karen Armstrong

At Hell's Gate: A Soldier's Journey, by Claude Anshin Thomas

Budismo Zen y psicoanalisis, D.T. Suzuki y Erich Fromm (Spanish)

Call Me By My True Names, the collected poems of Thich Nhat Hanh

Crazy Wisdom, Chogyam Trungpa

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, Chogyam Trungpa

Dzogchen: The Heart Essence, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Fragrant Palm Leaves, Thich Nhat Hanh

How to expand love, the Dalai Lama

In My Own Words, the Dalai Lama

Kindness, Clarity, and Insight, by His Holiness Dalai Lama

Lady of the Lotus-Born, The Life and Enlightenment of Yeshe Tsogyal,
Gyalwa Changchub and Namkhai Nyingpo

Meditation in Action, Chogyam Trungpa

My Land and My People: The Original Autobiography of His Holiness the
Dalai Lama of Tibet , by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Shakyamuni Buddha (an illustrated story of his life), Akane Shodo, et
al

The 14th Dalai Lama: a manga biography, by Tetsu Saiwai

The Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk Palden Gyatso, et al

The Banyan Deer, Rafe Martin

The Culture of Counter-Culture, Alan Watts

The Handbook of Tibetan Buddhist Symbols, Robert Beer

The Life of Milarepa, translated by Lobsang P. Lhalungpa

The Path of Compassion, Writings on Socially Engaged Buddhism

The Path to Enlightenment, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

The prince who became a cuckoo: a tale of liberation, by Lama Geshe
Wangyal

The Tao of Physics, Fritjof Capra

The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path of Loving Kindness, Pema Chodron

Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness, Chogyam Trungpa

Transcending Maddness: The Experience of the Six Bardos, Chogyam
Trungpa

Warm Smiles from Cold Mountains, Reb Anderson

Zen for Cats, Henry Beard

Zen Shorts (Caldecott Honor Book) [Hardcover], Jon J. Muth
(Illustrator)

Check here for full collection:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AojqH545HvcddEhLYlJXOEdZWkoyR3RWaVhVQ1RxaFE&hl=en_US

Cheers,
Minh-Tue

tueminh

Sep 3, 2011, 9:50:28 PM9/3/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival:

My Land and My People: The Original Autobiography of His Holiness the
Dalai Lama of Tibet , by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy, Dalai
Lama (Author), Rajiv Mehrotra (Translator)

The Great Buddhist Stories: Omnibus, Venerable S. Dhammika and Susan
Harmer

Luminous Mind: The Way of the Buddha Luminous Mind: The Way of the
Buddha, Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche, His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Awakening the Mind, Lightening the Heart : Core Teachings of Tibetan
Buddhism, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Cheers,
Minh-Tue

Elliott Hedman

Sep 3, 2011, 10:50:41 PM9/3/11
to mitbu...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome. Thanks for everyones hard work.
--
Elliott Hedman
Graduate Student, MIT Media Lab

'Immediately after you stand on the peak of a mountain you step forward and begin to climb a higher mountain which is down below'
~Kobun Chino

tueminh

Oct 27, 2011, 9:58:43 PM10/27/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
New Arrival:

A Profound Mind: Cultivating Wisdom in Everyday Life, by the Dalai
Lama

Buddha Boy, Kathe Koja

Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness,
Emotions, and Health, Daniel Goleman and Dalai Lama

Infinite Life: Awakening to Bliss Within [Paperback], By: Robert
Thurman, His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Learning True Love: How I Learned and Practiced Social Change in
Vietnam, Sister Chan Khong

Rebel Buddha, by Ponlop Rinpoche

Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying: An Exploration of Consciousness, Dalai
Lama

The Buddha's diamond

The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart
Sutra, by Thich Nhat Hanh

The Leader's Way: The Art of Making the Right Decisions in Our
Careers, Our Companies, and the World at Large, Dalai Lama

The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of
Life, Jean-Francois Revel and Matthiew Ricard

The Wisdom of the Crows and Other Buddhist Tales, by Sherab Chodzin

Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions - Matthieu Ricard

tueminh

Dec 11, 2011, 12:04:09 PM12/11/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
Awesome New Arrival @ Community Library:

Ancient Wisdom: Modern World, Dalai Lama

Buddha Heart, Buddha Mind: Living the Four Noble Truths, by His
Holiness the Dalai Lama

Buddhism for Bears, Claire Nielson and Chris Riddell

How to Practise, Dalai Lama

Masters of Wisdom: His Holiness The Dalai Lama: Infinite Compassion
for an Imperfect World (Watkins Masters of Wisdom), by the Dalai Lama

Mind in Comfort and Ease: The Vision of Enlightenm, Dalai Lama

The Art of Living : A Guide to Contentment, Joy and Fulfillment, Bstan-
Dzin-Rgya-Mtsho

The Dalai Lama at MIT, Anne Harrington, Arthur Zajonc

The Dalai Lama's Book of Transformation, By: His Holiness the Dalai
Lama, His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom,
Jennifer Holland

Vast as the Heavens, Deep as the Sea: Verses in Praise of Bodhicitta,
Khunu Rinpoche, et al

Zen computer, Philip Toshio Sudo

Elliott Hedman

Dec 11, 2011, 12:10:04 PM12/11/11
to mitbu...@googlegroups.com
Very cool. This is great!
--
Elliott Hedman
Graduate Student, MIT Media Lab
(970)389-3047

tueminh

Dec 23, 2011, 2:19:13 PM12/23/11
to MIT Buddhist Community
* Buddhism for sheep, Chris Riddell

"This book is great whether you are into buddism and sheep or not.
You can learn a great deal while being entertained by these comical
illustrations depicting the messages. It's a must have."

* Personal Transformation: An Executive's Story of Struggle and
Spiritual Awakening [Hardcover]

This is the story of a prominent executive who, after becoming a
wildly successful investment guru, begins a decline into near-total
deafness. His struggle with loss and loneliness, his discovery of joy
and transformation, and his immediate writing style make this a
classic spiritual book.

* The compassionate life, Dalai Lama

His Holiness the Dalai Lama says, "the key to a happier and more
successful world is the growth of compassion." Giving and receiving
affection is the key to happiness, and compassion is the key that
opens our hearts to affection. Illuminating themes touched upon in The
Good Heart and The Art of Happiness, this generous and gentle book
contains some of the most beloved teachings on compassion that the
Dalai Lama has ever offered. Touching and transformative, The
Compassionate Life is a personal invitation from one of the world's
most gifted teachers to live a life of happiness, joy, and true
prosperity. His Holiness offers specific practices for developing
loving-kindness and compassion in even the most difficult situations.

* The Zen of programming, Geoffrey James

"A collection of made-up parables and tales about coding, Zen style.
Great fun to read, still full of deep wisdom. A fantastic gift to
anyone working with computers."

* Transformed Mind, Dalai Lama

In his characteristically endearing and informal style, His Holiness
the Dalai Lama examines the nature of the human mind and emphasises
the need to transform it if we want to lead more fulfilling lives. In
the form of several discourses delivered over a period of nine years,
he talks about suffering, happiness, love and truth, and imparts
practical wisdom on issues ranging from religious tolerance to world
economy. Stressing the need for compassion and non-violence, the Dalai
Lama reiterates the essential goodness of the human heart and teaches
us how to live and die well, reminding us constantly of the
responsibility of our actions and thoughts, and the interdependence
between action and result. Wise, inspiring and always candid, The
Transformed Mind gives us hope and solace in this new millennium.