Website for post major disaster in Jefferson County (miep-tf@googlegroups.com)

1 view

Pete Hubbard (Google Docs)

Apr 25, 2014, 3:12:21 PM4/25/14
to mie...@googlegroups.com, nprep...@googlegroups.com
I've shared an item with you.
This attached GD is basically a note to myself that I've decided to share with you.

Maybe you share my feeling that if we “begin with the end in mind” (Covey’s 2nd habit from “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”), that we can more easily focus on what truly matters. The “end in mind” for me is a 9 point earthquake lasting several minutes followed by a tsunami. The http://www.sr530slide.com website shows us what matters most NOW to folks in OSA. It might offer us some insights (perhaps a template) for what should matter to us when we have our disaster(s). It could be our “end in mind” object(ive).

I welcome your comments.

Pete
Document Website for post major disaster in Jefferson County
Google Docs: Create and edit documents online. Logo for Google Docs

Pete Hubbard

Apr 26, 2014, 8:09:47 PM4/26/14
to mie...@googlegroups.com, NPREP Team
Patricia,

Everything you mention (and more) are pre-disaster activities we must take to mitigate and prepare. My thought experiment is about what we do post-disaster. More specifically, could the http://www.sr530slide.com website offer us some insights into what a possible post-disaster website might look like?

The 3 websites I mentioned in the Google Doc (GD) I shared with you mostly deal with pre-disaster activities. So, if we were to pursue this conversation further, the question would be - as I asked in the GD - will post-disaster information be spread over those 3 websites, or should we start a fourth website just like the Snohomish County and the Washington State Department of Transportation partnership did when they developed the http://www.sr530slide.com website?

If no one else chimes in on this conversation and you wish to continue, let's do so in a private email.
.
I spelled the town's name wrong. It should be Oso. There are no references in the http://www.sr530slide.com website to MI.

Thanks for your note.

Pete

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Patricia <pjea...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Thank you for sharing, Pete.

Assuming your given “habit," the end I would have in mind is mitigating the impact of such an event & keeping as many folks as possible safe & out of harm’s way. Some of it involves planning, such as our  executing a tsunami drill to start, as well as the planning that comes with MYN meetings & neighborhood familiarity. After that would be living in the aftermath & the recovery from such an event.

Regarding the Osa website, which of the links are you referring to that relate to MI? Or did I miss something?

That’s my comment, for what it’s worth.

Patricia

Janet and/or Willi

Apr 26, 2014, 11:49:02 PM4/26/14
to Pete Hubbard, mie...@googlegroups.com, NPREP Team
Please consider whether the recipients of your emails need to be included in this type of conversation.   And I believe it is proper etiquette to not expand distribution of emails threads unless approved by all members of the thread.
Janet

Pete Hubbard

Apr 27, 2014, 11:08:26 AM4/27/14
to MIE...@googlegroups.com, willi and/or janet Welch and/or Smothers
I don't understand your second sentence. Please elaborate.